Scrapping the finish off a drawer front - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

View Andreea's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Scrapping the finish off a drawer front

Hi guys I've found that scrapping the existing finish off drawer fonts less messier and time consumer then sanding alone.
Enjoy my video
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You shouldn't do either. Some of the finish penetrates into the wood and if you don't remove it out of the fibers of the grain you can have places that won't accept the stain. Any time wood is refinished it should be chemically stripped first.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, but I never had a problem. After scrapping I sand to a smooth surface and re-stain or in this case paint the drawer front a solid color. This is a comparison photo of after scrapping and after sanding before painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190502_142402.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	375003  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
We have a lot of people that come here asking about what went wrong on their refinishing project and then after a few questions found out that instead of using paint and varnish remover they sanded the finish off. Apparently they didn't sand as well as you did but I still believe it's a bad practice to skip the remover. At one time I had a furniture refinishing shop and have seen just how deeply some finishes penetrate into the wood and know how important it is to remove everything.

The problems others have had that come here for example your drawer front they would stain it and the flat surface would look fine but the molded edge would be all blotchy. They failed to completely remove all of the old finish because it wasn't as easy to sand as the face and because the wood was still sealed in places the wood wouldn't accept the stain.
difalkner likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-04-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

You are right Steve, if the preparation is done right it shouldn't be any problems refinishing a piece of furniture. The reason I've done this way is that I don't like the smell that stays around with paint stripper and I also have concerns about chemicals used in them. This is just my opinion and I've taken to finishing my furniture this way.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode