Scary - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

View Ogee Fillet's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Don't believe I've ever seen a shaper used like that. Scary doesn't quite describe it...
post #3 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM

View topsawn's Photo Album My Photos
Not on my watch

I'm always looking for new and faster ways to get things done. This is NOT one of them. The bad part is that someone will try this not knowing any better. I feel smarter every time I see something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If there were a guard on the BACK side of the blade

This set up would not be significantly different than a table saw where the BOTTOM side of the blade is enclosed by the saw table. Of course I don't recommend this set up as is. However, It may have an advantage for resawing as shown. The large table surface supports the workpiece in the horizontal position, as opposed to the more typically narrow fence in the vertical position. I'm not going to "try this at home" but I can understand where a shop with limited equipment, might use the shaper in this manner. The spindle height is fully adjustable on the shaper which would make different thickness of board easily. Yes it is scary in present form, but with a little more imagination, IE safety guard, could be a workable set up. Just my twisted opinion. They were obviously "thinking out of the box" on this one. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (07-17-2011)
post #5 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
Definately risky

It's amazing how people figure out do do things in so many different ways, especially smart and talented people. Sometimes common sense is lost on them though. I remember a college "Art/Design" teacher helping a student from one of their classes freehand carve a sculpture on the table saw, at least until the Industrial Tech Instructor came in to the shop.

topsawn - Can't help but be amused from the irony of your username, and the technique used in the video posted.

Cheers, and thanks for the post!

Last edited by Old Skhool; 02-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
This set up would not be significantly different than a table saw where the BOTTOM side of the blade is enclosed by the saw table. Of course I don't recommend this set up as is. However, It may have an advantage for resawing as shown. The large table surface supports the workpiece in the horizontal position, as opposed to the more typically narrow fence in the vertical position. I'm not going to "try this at home" but I can understand where a shop with limited equipment, might use the shaper in this manner. The spindle height is fully adjustable on the shaper which would make different thickness of board easily. Yes it is scary in present form, but with a little more imagination, IE safety guard, could be a workable set up. Just my twisted opinion. They were obviously "thinking out of the box" on this one. bill
Agreed, it could be made safe, but also reminds me of the old saying "Safety rules are written in blood" There should also be some kind of video warning for the inexperienced out there.

Have a good day Bill,

Bill (yes, there are lots of us on this site)
post #7 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I hadn't thought about kickback

on this set up, but that might be the deciding factor as to it's practical application. It might work.... bill
Old Skool, Thought about posting your general location? How many of us are there beside you and me? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

View topsawn's Photo Album My Photos
Ok it might work

After reading Bill and Old Skhool"s post I just had to know. I have an old cast-iron table, Craftsman shaper table, and thought well the spindle speed is close to the max on a 12" saw blade. I would have to make a collet for the 3/4" spindle to except the 1" bore of the blade but other than that I think it might be do-able.
If I sounded like an alarmest in my post it's because I'm a firm believer in push sticks and feather boards.
OLD SKHOOL- Your right, I didn't make that connection, good humor there.
I've got to re-saw some Walnut for some candle boxes that are the next project out of the shop. Think I'm going to stay with the band saw just a little longer though.
Glad you guys are open-minded, thanks for the posts. David
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
on this set up, but that might be the deciding factor as to it's practical application. It might work.... bill
Old Skool, Thought about posting your general location? How many of us are there beside you and me? bill
Location is now posted, thanks. As far as the name Bill goes, there's Dodgeboy77 and several others I've run across on here in the last 3-4 months. I guess it just struck me funny because off this board I hardly ever meet anyone with named Bill. Once a common name, now it has become almost obscure. BTW my middle name is Clinton, which is awkward when showing I.D. so I officially go by William, even though everyone knows me as Bill.

Last edited by Old Skhool; 02-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsawn View Post
After reading Bill and Old Skhool"s post I just had to know. I have an old cast-iron table, Craftsman shaper table, and thought well the spindle speed is close to the max on a 12" saw blade. I would have to make a collet for the 3/4" spindle to except the 1" bore of the blade but other than that I think it might be do-able.
If I sounded like an alarmest in my post it's because I'm a firm believer in push sticks and feather boards.
OLD SKHOOL- Your right, I didn't make that connection, good humor there.
I've got to re-saw some Walnut for some candle boxes that are the next project out of the shop. Think I'm going to stay with the band saw just a little longer though.
Glad you guys are open-minded, thanks for the posts. David

I'd use the bandsaw too. In terms of the shaper, I used to use some large diameter cutters and used a homemade large plywood guard for template shaping which necessitated having the cutter on top (kind of like that blade). Once covered, that intimidating cutter and the 7 1/2hp motor seemed to lose a bit of its evil persona. Pulling out a couple of table inserts would allow room to attach a riving knife to the motor/lifting mechanism, attach a feather board to the table and I'd feel safe. No blade exposure ...

post #11 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogee Fillet View Post
Just noticed the almost 5 star rating! Now that is scary!
post #12 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 AM

View Dejure's Photo Album My Photos
Re the miniture shingle mill saw

Now think of this blade being about four feet in diameter and doing the same thing. Then you'd have a shingle mill flat saw. They can be found throughout the west coast, for making cedar shingles. You can also find a lot of guys running around with nubs, where once were fingers and thumbs.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

View cristal1290's Photo Album My Photos
There is nothing scary if you know what your doing.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristal1290 View Post
Try riding with my wife.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM

View JordanRHughes's Photo Album My Photos
A little on the crazy side...
post #16 of 17 Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM

View PatHIverson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRHughes View Post
A little on the crazy side...spray foam insulation

I agree...

'Wingnut' comes to mind...

Last edited by PatHIverson; 09-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristal1290 View Post

Spoken like someone that has never had a mishap and has all his digits. "That can never happen to me, I know what I'm doing".

So lets try stupid or Dangerous.

Quote:
Bill, don't the wood on top have to go somewhere. If you cut all the way threw there is a definite kickback issue. If you don't cut all the way threw then it's useless for re-sawing. It's just plain old dangerous if you ask me. I had the same opinion before my accident.

Last edited by rrbrown; 05-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode