Making pallets and ties at the mill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Making pallets and ties at the mill

This is what happens when a tree gets milled into pallet size lumber. A lot of workers and machines get involved:

A different mill here making cross ties, but very sophisticated machines and operators at work:

I wonder about all the cut offs and where they end up. You would think a person could go there and get all the scraps you'd need for a life time of woodworking. I wonder if they are ground into mulch or could be purchased?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I love these kind of videos! I would sure like to get my hands on some of their waste wood. Thanks for posting.

Gary
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
There used to be a pallet mill north of here in Alabama. We drove through that town frequently and the plant was actually on both sides of the road. I do not think they had much waste. They did have a huge sawdust pile. And years after they closed there was still a huge pile of unsold pallets.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
We used to have one of these here near downtown, but it closed many years ago. It also did the creosote treatment of the ties. It was located inside the large wye junction of three railroads (good for shipping the finished product) and had its own narrow gauge trackage for the movement of work. Back then the slash was just burned to make steam for the pressure treating of the wood. We also have a Sauder Woodworking complex near here. It is highly automated and basically the raw materials are unloaded from rail cars, loaded into the factory, and finished, boxed ready to assemble product comes out the other "end". At this plant, all scraps are automatically captured, transported by air handlers, and burned to produce steam to spin electric generators. The surplus electricity is fed back into the grid. No scraps to pickup or take away.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode