• 3 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I Love my job, Furniture Maker

It's refreshing to see a woman in the woodworking or furniture making profession. This one is quite a woodworker and then some....
difalkner, Catpower and Kerrys like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-19-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Here's another young lady that is real good

difalkner likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Turning scares me ....

More than anything else in woodworking, I find turning the scariest.
I don't have much experience for that very reason, but what I did do was not fun. After a few "catches" I decided it wasn't for me. There's a whole lot more to it than jamming a tool into some chunk of spinning wood as I found out. However, I really appreciate those who can do it!
There's a few parts on this video where I just cringed, but nothing bad happened. Those are some really large pieces she's made and roughing them out was the scariest.
gmercer_48083 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
A lathe was the fist tool I owned so I used it a lot, I had a Delta 12x36 and turned tons of stuff on it. Aromatic cedar was about the cheapest wood besides pine and I turned a lot of stuff with cedar, but it was before the internet and safety rules never used a dust mask, and to this day the smell of cedar about gags me

A couple years ago I updated to a Grizzly 22x42, man that is a nice lathe smooth as silk to run and yeah roughing big bowls is a little nerve wracking, she is using sopping wet green wood, it cuts much easier then the stuff I use, 99% of the turnings I do are pieces built up from laminating them, if yo do them right they really look cool, glued up Baltic Birch looks pretty neat

And the new carbide scrapers they have saves a lot of time sharpening, but shear cutting makes a better finish, at least less sanding and fewer catches

One thing about using dried wood on this new machine is, it has a 3 hp motor on it and you can really remove stock fast, but the shavings are so hot coming off you have stop cutting more often

Back when I was working full time my hands were so calloused heat never really bothered them, since I retired I have become a wimp LOL
woodnthings likes this.

There is no app for experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode