Woodworking Talk banner

I****ani Furniture

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  WeebyWoodWorker 
#1 ·
I came across this I****ani's Furnature youtube channel a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7FkqjV8SU5I8FCHXQSQe9Q

Watching his work got me motivated to get into this hobby not too long ago. Just found these forums and enjoy reading all the posts. Figured I'd share.

#3 ·
The reason is .....

Within the first 5 letters is the word shi* so it get's *****

Interesting...his name is censored here. It's "Ish-i-tani Furnature"

#4 ·
If that's part of someones legitimate name, it should not be censored.
I worked with Vietnamese crew and the foreman's name was Dung. He would introduce himself as "Dung, like in s**t" and laugh abour it.
Several years back, I remember reading an article about people that do or plan to do a lot of international travel. The article was about when you have a new child and how to look up whether their proposed name is profane or otherwise stupid in a foreign language.

#5 ·
I was part of a new startup. An early task was finding a name for the company. We gathered all of the employees in the conference room with a whiteboard. I was on a laptop checking proposed names for preexisting domain registrations. It took most of the day to come up with a name. It helped to have a diverse group of people who spoke many languages. The final choice had three syllables and had no apparent use or meaning in any of the languages that we knew among us. It was easy to say, had no ambiguous spellings (if you heard it, you knew how to spell it), and nobody had registered it as a domain name. After that, we did A LOT more verification to ensure that the name did not have a hidden meaning in an unfamiliar language.

Watch out for dialects, too. I have read that some words in Spanish dialects are offensive and vulgar in some parts of the world while others use the same words in everyday language. It causes trouble for the FCC when people file complaints about Spanish language radio, for example.

By way of example, in the UK, "spotted dick" is a food. In the US, the term may be interpreted in a more vulgar way, especially by juveniles.

#7 ·
Where does it stop, in this case the full name being spelled out would likely attract less attention than all the symbols added to eliminate a term found in the actual letters. I guess those impassioned about this are entitled to their opinion, anyway my wristwatch says it is lunch time.

#13 ·
I've seen every video that guy has. He does some incredible work. That being said I'm not overly fond of everything he makes. I like a lot of Japanese things (Imagine that right?) however I've never been a fan of Japanese tools or most techniques for that matter. He's still very good at what he does, and it is a pleasure to watch him work.

-T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.