Building a wood deck attached to a brick house - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View VictorT's Photo Album My Photos
Building a wood deck attached to a brick house

Dear Woodworkers,

After seeing alot of YT videos (especially the US decking experts;-) i've tried to build my own deck. It al started with an idea instead of a concrete plan. Because off all the miscalculations, it takes some more time, and is divided into parts ;-) I would love to hear your comments on both the woodworking aswell as on the video...Kind regards, Victor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Where do you find workers that work so fast? Might help to find some that work a little slower. There should be caulk or some kind of sealant between the board fastened to the house. In winter water will get between the wood and the house and freeze causing the anchors to pull through the wood loosening it.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for sharing. Its always nice to see designs from other countries and compare them to our building code. For example that cement block corner support would be over kill in the states. Where I live (Upstate NY) we need to dig below the frost line (42 or just over 1 meter) then fill it with concrete and then finally set wood post tomsupport the deck. Might sound easy but the last Ice Age deposited Medina Stone all over the north east US and you cant dig into the ground just a few inches without hitting the rocks! Miserable job!

We also have an interesting law in our town for decks and other outside structures. If the deck is attached to the house (we call that a ledger board) then it is considered a permanent improvement and you pay additional taxes, assuming you got the appropriate permit approval first. If you do not get the permit then you are fined. If the deck is free standing then it is not considered permanent and you pay no additional tax. If the deck is more than 3 feet off the ground it must have a railing.

So how do they know if you have a deck or pool or out building on your property? One every few years they hire a company to fly over the neighborhoods and take photos of properties then compare them to the previous years photos. Now I think they use google satellite images and soon drones. Pretty sad when youd think about it.

So good luck with the deck! Hopefully you can have a deck party when the Dutch team is back in the World Cup along with the US and Italy!

Saw Dust Rules

In God we trust. All others bring data. - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
For someone who started this with no plan and just an idea it sure seems to be going off according to a plan. Nice work. Be a nice addition for you and your family to enjoy.
Thank goodness I live in the country. Couldnt handle having neighbors so close to me.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the usefull and funny comments ;-) Keep them coming! Yes, the blocks are overkill here too! I've put sealant between the wood and brick, good tip! Part 3 is ready, part 4 almost (kinda unstructural or logic build up in things, it all comes together...) Greetings
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I built a two level 13'x26' deck at our old house. I did not attach it to the house at all. Each level sat on nine 6x6 posts set in concrete. The deck was built right up to the vinyl siding so I didn't have to remove anything. The decks were in place for over twenty years and never moved. This method worked very well when I took the deck down to replace it with a concrete patio of the same size.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
I built a two level 13'x26' deck at our old house. I did not attach it to the house at all. Each level sat on nine 6x6 posts set in concrete. The deck was built right up to the vinyl siding so I didn't have to remove anything. The decks were in place for over twenty years and never moved. This method worked very well when I took the deck down to replace it with a concrete patio of the same size.
I would have done this aswell if i could. In my case it wasn't an option to break down the concrete border around the house, for several reasons. Therefore i chose to let it rest on the border and attach it to the house with anchor bolts.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

And part 4 is ready:-) Feedback is welcome! On to part 5, 6 ......
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 AM

View EverythingWood's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for sharing, Victor.
I'm planing to build my own deck next year. Following your topic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode