would if I could - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

View would's Photo Album My Photos
would if I could

Hello to all of you. Wow, some of the work I have seen in this introduction page almost make me ashamed to join such an elite group of craftsmen. I have been working with wood in some basic fashion since I was about 8 years old but never developed any skills like I have seen here. I am more of a rough construction sort of person, finishing details are not my forte. But I do usually get the functional part right. I am not an artist, and obviously some of you have a great talent in that area, I hope I can pick up some inspiration from your postings and also get a few good tips for my specific needs.

I am 57 now, but have the skills of a five year woodworker at best I am guessing. I am interested in building some speaker cabinets but don't want to break the bank doing it. So if there is a thread that addresses things like wood qualities that would help me understand what I should use for that purpose that you can recommend I would appreciate that. Most speaker cabinets are made of MDF but since I don't like using veneers I would prefer to use a wood that can accept a decent finish, not looking for perfection or exotic woods. My tendency is to want to pick up some old pallets and strip the oak planks from them and plane them down to see how they look. Probably they would not hold up well but I like the idea of using junk wood to make something. I figure pine is too soft to make a good dense speaker cabinet and I want to avoid plywood and its edge finishing aspects but that might be my best choice. If any of you have built your own loud speakers and have some tips please let me know. Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice to have you aboard Steve.

A search for "speaker cabinets here on this site reveals about 15 threads on the subject. Check them out and see what you think:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...earchid=174994
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-26-2009 at 11:28 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

View would's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A search for "speaker cabinets here on this site reveals about 15 threads on the subject. Check them out and see what you think:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...earchid=174917
bill
Thanks, your link didn't work for me so I did a search and came up with 12 threads. Most of the threads mentioned speaker cabinet design in passing. Some pointed to using MDF and one by Ferstler was obviously quite knowledged on speaker design but didn't really get into how he built his cabinets. He did use pine, which I would think was not dense enough for a good speaker cabinet - but he would know what he was doing I am certain.

I was hoping there was going to be some nifty ideas on how to cross brace the cabinets, joints that work best, wood types that have the best resonance properties, etc. I am not really that picky about it all, but if somethings can be implemented by me within reason then I am all for it. Designing actual cabinet volume, port usage and size, wiring are things that would fall outside the scope of woodworking but wood charateristics are the secrets this group knows, whats dense, stable, type of joints to use maybe even the glue. I think I will find some of these answers reading through more of the threads. Thanks for your input, it will be awhile before I really start on this project so I have time for more research.

Last edited by would; 05-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Soory about the search, I fixed it

You probably got the same answers in yours anyway. I have built only 4 speaker cabinets myself. Two were for a pair of 18" EV subwoofers and two were for 15" midrange co-axials. I made them of of 3/4 particle board, open port bass reflex designs from EV plans. I faced them with black Formica type laminate applied with contact cement. Nothing fancy, but they would rattle the floor joists on the rooms above my living room which is on a slab. 200 watts continous if you could stand it! They are currently stored in the attic, they are of considerable size when stacked, about 24 x24 x 60 tall. Sorry can't be of more help. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
Something I learned from a friend of mine, if you are going to use these speakers in a band type setting look into finishing with a truck bed liner product. Not only does this protect the cabinet really well but it also improves the function of the speaker.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode