Woodworker level 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mugginsville2000
  • 1 Post By difalkner

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Mugginsville

View mugginsville2000's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworker level 2

Hello from northern ca. Looking to learn from people more experienced than myself, and further my woodworking skills.
35015 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel. Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you.

What sort of woodworking are you doing now, what do you want to do, what tools do you have, do you have a dedicated shop, what projects are up and coming for you, etc. ...?

David

PS - we like photos!
mugginsville2000 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to WoodworkingTalk!

The best resources for me to learn more about woodworking have been:

* Public library - You would be amazed at the number and quality of good woodworking books there are. Old books are as good as new ones; trees have not changed much over of the years. :-)

* Local woodworking club - People with a lifetime of experience who want to share with others. Sadly, some of them are getting very old, but they are a great resource for used tools.

* WoodworkingTalk - Naturally.

* YouTube - It doesn't work for me, but many people I know rely on it for learning new skills. Just pay attention to safety issues. Anyone can post anything on YouTube. Some woodworkers are fortunate not to suffer an amputation while filming their work. Note the safety violations and teach yourself to avoid them!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 04:23 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
...............* YouTube - It doesn't work for me..... Just pay attention to safety issues. Anyone can post anything on YouTube. Some woodworkers are fortunate not to suffer an amputation while filming their work. Note the safety violations and teach yourself to avoid them!
Best advise I have seen in a long while.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You need to know what's not"safe" ......

QOUTE
[*YouTube - It doesn't work for me, but many people I know rely on it for learning new skills. Just pay attention to safety issues. Anyone can post anything on YouTube. Some woodworkers are fortunate not to suffer an amputation while filming their work. Note the safety violations and teach yourself to avoid them!]

You can't blanket statement You Tubes for being unsafe, some are, some of not and most by experienced, well known authors ARE safe and make it a point to show safety aspects and accessories.

How is a novice to know what is safe and what isn't?
I watch them before I post them here to see what my impression is regarding proceedure and safety. When I see something that isn't what I regard as safe, I point it out.

Here is one of the better ones on kickback:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-19-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
QOUTE
[*YouTube - It doesn't work for me, but many people I know rely on it for learning new skills. Just pay attention to safety issues. Anyone can post anything on YouTube. Some woodworkers are fortunate not to suffer an amputation while filming their work. Note the safety violations and teach yourself to avoid them!]

You can't blanket statement You Tubes for being unsafe, some are, some of not and most by experienced, well known authors ARE safe and make it a point to show safety aspects and accessories.

How is a novice to know what is safe and what isn't?
I watch them before I post them here to see what my impression is regarding proceedure and safety. When I see something that isn't what I regard as safe, I point it out.

[...]
That's not fair. I never made a "blanket statement" that "You Tubes for being unsafe." I was very careful to qualify my statements, but here is a translation:

"It doesn't work for me":
I do not enjoy learning from YouTube.

"but many people I know rely on it for learning new skills."
(no translation required)

"Just pay attention to safety issues.":
While you are learning a woodworking skill from a YouTube video, be aware of safety, too. You may see good safety practices. You may also see bad safety practices. Learn from them.

"Anyone can post anything on YouTube. Some woodworkers are fortunate not to suffer an amputation while filming their work.":
Not all videos on YouTube are posted by skilled experts. Some people post videos where you can see how sloppy they are about safety, with close calls readily visible in the videos.

"Note the safety violations and teach yourself to avoid them!":
While you learn from YouTube videos, work on learning how to spot safety violations, so you can be a safer woodworker yourself.

It is nice that you point out the safety issues on YouTube videos where you post the links, but @mugginsville2000 may be looking at videos that you have not vetted.

My main points were:

* Warn that not all YouTube videos are posted by experts in their fields.
* In addition to learning whatever specific skill is being taught in the video, try to observe the safety aspects of the videos, too. Learn to spot safety violations, so you can avoid them. That's all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode