Wooden Flute Maker Here - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

View dreamwake's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Wooden Flute Maker Here

HI ALL! I'm from, Iowa. I'm 22, I build flutes but thats all I know how to make! so I'm not much of a wood worker but I love what I do.

I just got prototypes made, so I'm new at this, I will get pictures up but It could be like a month until I get my wood! I ordered a ton of dowels from dowels on demand.

I got into flute making cause I love music, Specifically Irish and the Band Nightwish.
I'm trying to figure out how to make my flute work with metal music lol but I've never been good at music.

My favorite wood is Zebrawood. Love that exotic look. I don't make typical flutes or keyed flutes. I have a 14 inch design and a 28 inch design which I call dreamwake flutes hence my username.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Looking forward to seeing some of these flutes. They sound pretty cool.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

this is what I got on the way, Gabon Ebony, Tigerwood, Zebrawood, Tiger Maple, Yellow Birch, Cumaru, Aromatic Cedar, Tropical Olivewood, Hickory, and Imbuyu

I think a piece of Amboyna burl would look really cool but I don't have any of that right now.

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM

View apprentice's Photo Album My Photos
welcome
Wooden flutes. Wow! Until now i thought they had to be made from some kind of metal. I think you'll be a very good addition to our club!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Hi apprentice, they can also be made out of Delrin it's some type of plastic,Some flutes are even made out of bamboo. But I think I'll stick to wood

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
post #6 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.
It's great to see craftsmanship in things other than furniture.

Gotta see those pics when ya get em ready. !!!

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #7 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

I've designed some furniture but thats all I can do, my dad actually builds the furniture, It's nice too do other things with wood, I would like to build a an electric guitar out of zebrawood now that would be killer. Have no idea how to do that.

some of the wood just shipped or I hope it all shipped!!! It takes like 2 weeks for the wood to arrive from Canada but I got some zebrawood already, 2 pieces that need to be lathed but I'm not so good with the lathe yet, I almost made a dowel tonight lol so my dad is going to turn them, I don't know when yet, I'm using maple to practice with.

I found a Imbuia dowel I had laying around and wow does that pack a scent of smell!!!

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwake View Post
Hi apprentice, they can also be made out of Delrin it's some type of plastic,Some flutes are even made out of bamboo. But I think I'll stick to wood
Nothing wrong with that! Looking at wood as a medium(art term medium that is), allows for the creativity necessary to design instruments and such. Sounds like your onto something really worthwhile!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I've designed some furniture but thats all I can do, my dad actually builds the furniture, It's nice too do other things with wood, I would like to build a an electric guitar out of zebrawood now that would be killer. Have no idea how to do that.

some of the wood just shipped or I hope it all shipped!!! It takes like 2 weeks for the wood to arrive from Canada but I got some zebrawood already, 2 pieces that need to be lathed but I'm not so good with the lathe yet, I almost made a dowel tonight lol so my dad is going to turn them, I don't know when yet, I'm using maple to practice with.

I found a Imbuia dowel I had laying around and wow does that pack a scent of smell!!!
One of my first projects was an "electric guitar" that came out of some scrap oak from a church pew that had been scaled down. It was really a much bigger project than i was prepared to take on and much more work than had been anticipated. It did get completed except for the electric part. So, what turned out was a solid body non-electric guitar.
It was definitely a good learning experience and would certainly try it again but with a slightly different approach. I wouldn't mind sharing with ya a few pointers if you want.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Give me some more wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice View Post
One of my first projects was an "electric guitar" that came out of some scrap oak from a church pew that had been scaled down. It was really a much bigger project than i was prepared to take on and much more work than had been anticipated. It did get completed except for the electric part. So, what turned out was a solid body non-electric guitar.
It was definitely a good learning experience and would certainly try it again but with a slightly different approach. I wouldn't mind sharing with ya a few pointers if you want.

Awesome, I could use some pointers actually alot of pointers lol, Anything you learned I would like to know, thanks!

DROP TUNE THAT BASS
post #11 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM

View JohnWP's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Awesome, I could use some pointers actually alot of pointers lol, Anything you learned I would like to know, thanks!
I think I posted this in your other thread, but there is a forum called chiff and fipple that has a few makers on it, and a yahoo group specifically for wooden flute makers, and they have some whistle players on there as well.

To be brief, there are two types of flutes. Conical bore, which is what most of your Irish (6 holes, single key signature) flutes. These can be cross fingered to get different flats and sharps, and you can make a minimum 4 key (Bb, Eb, F and G# IIRC) to make it chromatic.

Then there are cylindrical bore, which is what most whistles are done in, and modern (Boehm) flutes.

I think if you wanted to try a modern style flute, you can buy the keys and workings and make the body out of wood. There are a few flute makers that do this (Abell comes immediately to mind), and if you can get it perfected, they go upwards of $8000 per flute, some up to the 20k range.

Oh, and check out mcgee flutes page. He has a LOT of research and information on wooden flutes, and I think even a couple of plans/specifications.

John

Tags
dreamwake, dreamwake flutes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode