Wood Working Newb - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

View Kevin Doe's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Working Newb

Hey I'm Kevin. I am pretty much new to woodworking, although I have done a few small projects. I come from a metal fabrication background so most of the concepts are pretty much universal, except wood is easier to machine/cut. I'm from Cincinnati, OH and I'm a controls engineer for a large jet engine manufacturer. I'm a car nut, and like to race (autox). Here is a pic of my car. Its a 93 RX-7 with Chevy V8 in it. Its pretty built up putting down 487 hp to the wheels.

I've been reading on this forum nonstop for the last week or so, and I hope to continue learning a lot here.

My last project was a "succulent box" I made on a tiny 10" ryobi table saw. And a 1960s Craftsman router for the dados.

Here are some pics of that.

I'm wanting to get a better table saw than the crappy ryobi one that I borrowed for this. The 12" rip capacity leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm looking to buy a table saw, (new or used) for under $500. I was looking at some of the portable ones like a Bosch 4100 or a Ridgid R4510 (TS2410), but also interested in some stationary ones, like a contractor or hybrid if the price is right.

I've found a few used ones on my local CL, but not sure if they're a good deal.

Here is one, its a Delta 34-411 for $425.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1528270658.html

And another craftsman one for $375.
http://lexington.craigslist.org/tls/1502197304.html

Any opinions on those?

Last edited by Kevin Doe; 01-03-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I just read the thread about uploading pics instead of using photobucket linked pics. Sorry about that.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, Kevin. You had me scratching my head when you said you built a "succulent box". But that's darn nice! I like very much. And, darn nice car - I'm envious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum ... nice work on that box. Like Geoguy, I had never heard of a "succulent box" but I love the way it looks.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 AM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forums Kevin. Great looking box.

I have a Craftsman TS and love it but looking at the 2 you have links to, I would lean towards the Delta because of the fence, extension table and "extras".

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #6 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #7 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I just got finished making some baby gates. My wife wasn't happy with any of the store bought units, and they wouldn't fit well, so I made these up real quick. Made of red oak. I made two of these bad boys. Very simple, and they look nice.

post #8 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard from Texas. Nice work, by the way.
I have a Delta Contractors saw and have been using them for over 25 years. They are great saws and usually there will be more than one of them in most cabinet shops. Anyway, they can be had in very good condition used for around $500 or less.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #9 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Last night I went out and bought a Delta table saw.

I got it for $400 with all the extras. Came with the homemade crosscut sled, and a few zero clearance inserts.

I'd like to add one of those on/off(paddle) switches. Where is the best place to get one of those. I'd also like to remove the wood side table and replace it with a homemade router table. Can anyone point me to some good plans for a router table extension.

The saw is old, and it had a bit of a vibration to it. Where is the best place to start sprucing it up. I'd like to check bearings, alignment, clean and lube the gears, etc. Anyone care to share some info with me on where to start with this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM

View Dusty82's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, and great work! Congrats on the N2U table saw. Is this the kind of switch you're looking for?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&Max=999

The first thing I did with my old Craftsman table saw was replace the belt. That cut a lot of vibration, but my old belt was in pretty nasty condition to begin with, so YMMV...

“It’s what you learn after you already know everything that counts.” –Chip Foose-
post #11 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking a switch similar to that. I have one on my 17" craftsman pro drill press. But $30 seems pretty expensive for a switch.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Kevin. Nice work.

Did you say tool sale?
post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I was not happy with the smoothness that the blade tilted and raised, so I decided to dismantle the whole thing and flip it upside down so I could work on it. Turns out that the gears were pretty gummed up, and all sorts of things misaligned and wrong.

I've never seen the underside of a contractor table saw, especially of this vintage, and I was pretty impressed by the quality. Apparently this saw was made back when companies actually cared about quality. I cleaned everything up and polished the part of the shafts that ride in the bushing surface, and re-greased those. I also reset the backlash in the gears (there was a lot of slop), which I assume was part of the reason the saw had a vibration to it. Once all that was done the blade tilted and raised/lowered like buddah. I just need to clean up the excess grease that squeezed out when I was re-greasing the bushings. I think I'll lube the gears up with a dry film wax lube that I used to use on my motorcycle chain. It worked great. Didn't attract dirt, and was dry to the touch but left a waxy lube on the surface.

I also pulled the arbor out to check the bearings and they too were pretty much shot. Ordering up some new bearings and this thing should be as good as new. Not bad for a days work.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Kevin. You have plenty of talent, I think you can take your woodworking as far as you want or have time to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode