Wood putters - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

View chuckz's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Wood putters

Hi,

My name is chuckz and I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this right. I am a retired woodworker and I am always looking for projects that I can do during the winter months in my shop. I am also a golfer, very average, but I enjoy it. I have a project in mind for this winter but my delema is that I can't find plans or specifications for it.

The project I had in mind is building my own wooden golf putter from scratch. I have some hardwoods that I can use but I need some specs before giving it a try. Such as approx. size of the putter head, weight and how and where to attach balancing wights to the head. I plan to make a hickery shaft for the putter.

So if any of you woodworkers out there have ever done anything like this, or if you know anyone who has that I can get in touch with please contact me. Thanks, Chuckz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
I can't help you with the putter but welcome to the forum. Red

Red
post #3 of 14 Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM

View Shamus's Photo Album My Photos
I've not made a putter from wood but have made several over the years from metal.

A reference that might help is a company the sells golf equipment. Those site's may offer some ideas, although I don't believe they have specific sizes noted. Give "Golfsmith.com" a search.

Personally I like a heavy putter head. Gives me a better feel. I know you can buy almost any shape/size/weight putter you'd want. A custome made one would be neat, just make sure you get a cover for it as other clubs in the bag will beat the finish off in no time.

Many clubs made today have adjustable weight screws and the ability to remove the screw and add a lead disk under the screw. The trick is a balance between heel and toe with the shaft being the turning point.

Build one with the intent of tweaking it for function and you've got a winner. The face could have an insert, metal or plastic and are available.

Good luck and post some photo's of your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM

View Billy Barule's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Putters

The biggest problem with wood putters is mass. Wood does not have the density to provide a clubhead mass (250-300 gm) to provide enough inertia for putting. A second problem is the durability of the club face. My short lived company "Billy Barule Golf" solved these two problems by: inserting tungsten weights inside the putter head and adding a 1/4 inch thick brass striking plate to the front of the putter.

To be legal with the USGA... the putter can only have one striking surface - make sure the heal and toe of the club are not flat. The depth of the putter can not be greater than the width.

Good luck with the putter!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Are you a golfer or do you just want to make a putter?

Look in any golf club supply store and you will see an amazing variety of shapes and sizes of putters.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 PM

View malibuwood's Photo Album My Photos
HI, I make the best wood putters in the world. It is not easy but can be done in your garage with some good tools. Finding the wood is a big challenge. The heads need to be 65lbs. per cubic minimum. The shafts can be made of almost anything but I recommend maple for a start because it is the easiest to work with (don’t get cheap and use metal). The grip can be a build up of anything as well but I recommend something like maple, Paduak, and/or anything that is heavy like the head to create a good balance.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=malibuwood;156075]HI, I make the best wood putters in the world.

A bold claim and might be true. My question is: How does one determine that he makes the best wood putters in the World?

I would love to see one of your putters in person.

Oh, welcome Chuckz, didn't mean to snub you.

Bret
post #9 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM

I have looked all over the world for all wood putters in the past years and today. Can't find another that compares to Malibu Wood. I'll put a money back Guaranty on it. Buy one and if you don't like it I'll give you your money back. Talk to me people!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
I seem to remember reading that persimmon is a good wood for golf clubs because it is so HARD, but it isn't the heaviest wood around so if you need high density, there are better ones such as lignum vitae. Also, the references I recall may be for drivers, not putters.

I realize you asked about how to MAKE them, not about what wood to use, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #11 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

All wood putter's

HI Chuck, How is the all wood putter project coming along? I wanted to share some more information with you regarding making all wood putters. Billy Barle’s comment regarding club head mass is very important. We have found that with a ” brass sole plate the heads will get heavy enough (approximately 300 grams). Putting an insert in or hidden weight will change performance and sweet spot. If you want different weights, make more than one sole plate that will fit your putter head using Bronze and or a bigger/thicker size plate. We use abalone inlay for head to ball alignment because it works great in any type of light that may come during a round of golf.
Making your shaft out of hickory is a good choice because it will give you minimal flex depending on thickness. Milling the shaft down to 6- 1/8”x3/4” pieces and laminating them back together will give you a longer lasting club. If you do mill your shaft it will also give you more options (off-sets and double bends) but, you will need to make a jig for it. You may want to invest into a tenon cutter to get a nice ” round end on the shaft that will fit your bore through drilling of the head. www.lumberjacktools.com
Connecting the head to the shaft is going to be one of the hardest things you do. If you know what lie you want, that will tell you what angle to drill through the head (off-sets will make compound angles). If you have a good drill press, make a block/jig that the heads will sit in with the lie degree you want. We don’t set the loft degree until head and shaft are glued together. Use exotic hardwood epoxy like Smith & Co’s which will give you lasting results. www.japanwoodworker.com
If you want to use a rubber grip, just mill the grip area to ” and slide one on. Try and keep at least 5/8” up to the grip area of your shaft or you may get to much flex. A wood grip can be made of different hardwoods giving you great feel as well as beauty. Cut/mill pieces for building up the grip to glue on the bottom, top (top piece is your call) and then sides of the shaft. Shape and SAND everything as much as possible (Sam Maloof’s best advice)down to 200 grit or more before you start applying the finish.
We use General Finishes Exterior 450 (water based acrylic) on most of Malibu Woods putters these days. www.generalfinishes.com/in-the-news.
If you have any question regarding this information or need more details please don’t hesitate to ask.
KC
Malibu Wood

Last edited by malibuwood; 10-27-2010 at 05:44 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM

View Ja43's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, my question is similar but more focused on the shaft itself, I plan on using a regular putter head and making my own shaft, I don't have any hickory laying around my shop so I was thinking of using something like quarter-sawn white oak or maybe hard maple with a straight grain. I plan on doing a glue up with probably 3- 3/16 x 5/8 laminations and ending up with a 9/16 diameter when all is said and done. Any thoughts or valuable insight???
post #13 of 14 Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Penmaker

View PenmanBean's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Chuckz! I don't know anything about making golf clubs but Welcome to the group!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

View GWEE's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode