Upper New York - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

View reynoldston's Photo Album My Photos
Upper New York

New to this forum. I am a amateur wood worker and have been picking away at it for the last 20+ years. My shop is too small for the number of tools I have 12X25. I have learned most of my wood working by just trial and mistakes. One of the real big things I have learned through the years is it is mush faster and less pain to take the time and work safe then going to the hospital, so safety is my number 1 thing. I live in upper NY about 20 miles east of Rochester NY in the small town of Marion. I keep my wood projects small seeing I have a small shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and I know what you mean when it comes to small shops but any place you can get away for a while is a good place.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #3 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from NH - Like yourself, I learned woodworking by doing it and reading books and magazines. Didn't get very far for the first 30 years (busy working and raising 4 boys etc.), but I retired 4 years ago and my woodworking skill level has climbed. Hang in there and stay safe. Small shops can be challenging, but they are cozy and easier to heat in the winter.

I built a great bench for a small shop and this coming winter, I'm going to make my bench height adjustable. It's a great bench but I have a low ceiling and have to work my taller builds laying down or on the floor - so height adjustable is calling me...

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

View reynoldston's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
Welcome from NH - Like yourself, I learned woodworking by doing it and reading books and magazines. Didn't get very far for the first 30 years (busy working and raising 4 boys etc.), but I retired 4 years ago and my woodworking skill level has climbed. Hang in there and stay safe. Small shops can be challenging, but they are cozy and easier to heat in the winter.

I built a great bench for a small shop and this coming winter, I'm going to make my bench height adjustable. It's a great bench but I have a low ceiling and have to work my taller builds laying down or on the floor - so height adjustable is calling me...
We sound a lot alike because I have been retired now for 9 years. One of the problems I have is heating my shop. I was heating it with fire wood till the town said I couldn't heat it with a solid fuel like wood. Don't really know what to do as far as heating it this coming winter,
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Welcome Aboard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-30 Eagle Finished.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	79182  

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #8 of 9 Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 AM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from another "small shop guy." I save my big projects for warm weather an assemble outside. I use one of THESE for heat and it does very well. I use a 20 lb tank mounted outside.

Joe B. 41

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode