• 1 Post By Bernie_72
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By shoot summ

post #1 of 16 Old 08-12-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

View Kent Browne's Photo Album My Photos
trying to refinish my saw top

i got a Delta Unisaw from 1997, with a heavily rusted/stained top. i sanded it down and got it really smooth, but not shiny like i really want to have. Does anyone have a suggestion how to get that LOVELy polished iron look back? Ive included before and after pics, so it really has come a long way, and works flawlessly, im just vain. The one that wont show is the before pic.

trying to refinish my saw top-61888980670__a83290e6-4f2c-4b4c-b279-ccaeb78e9b74.jpg

Name:  IMG_20200715_095029_6.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  244.0 KB

Last edited by difalkner; 08-12-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: showed photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-12-2020, 08:29 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never seen "shinny" cast iron. Put on a good coat of Johnson's(or other brand) paste wax and it will look great.

George
post #3 of 16 Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
That's not rusted, Kent.

THIS is rusted!

trying to refinish my saw top-saw-table-rusted.jpg

trying to refinish my saw top-pm-54a-rusted-beds-fence.jpg

trying to refinish my saw top-top-scraped-filed-sanded-level.jpg

trying to refinish my saw top-pm-54a-finished.jpg

David
Tool Agnostic likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
That's not rusted, Kent.
my thoughts exactly!

i've used this type of 3m bristle wheel on a 4" grinder to de-rust cast iron tool tables
not sure if this will fit your particular grinder but this is the type i use from amazon
i'd stay away from the die grinder size. use the grinder size and hold the wheel flat to the surface of your tool. it does an amazing job.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 02:46 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Cast iron develops a patina. Your never going to get it shiny without some serious effort.

You got you a very nice saw there. Looks great to me. Go to work!
difalkner likes this.

Robert
post #6 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 04:45 PM

View Bernie_72's Photo Album My Photos
You can get it to shine again but it does take some work.

I didn't get a picture of this planer top in at it's worst. Here's a picture after a good bit of work with WD-40 rust remover and some steel wool:

Name:  4IMG_9402.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  267.1 KB

I switched to T9 rust free and steel wool and was able to get the top to this:

Name:  5IMG_9390.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  402.7 KB

I grabbed some sand paper and wet sanded with T9 rust free as lubricant going from 400 to 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000 to 2500 and finally to 3000 grit. Here's the result:

Name:  6IMG_9397.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  366.7 KB

Here's what was used before I put a layer of T9 boeshield on the top

Name:  IMG_9394 (1).jpg
Views: 31
Size:  483.2 KB

It sounds like a lot of work but I probably spent about 90 minutes in total on it. The top isn't perfect but it's much better.

The T9 rust fee is some pretty rough stuff. Definitely wear a mask when you do this work. Breathing this stuff in is not fun!

After the T9 dried I just wax the top occasionally now.
difalkner likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 05:22 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have used the Boeshield RUSTFREE Rust and Stain remover. It left stains in cast iron.

I used WD-40 and gray Scotch-Brite pads (7448) to clean up the stains. The WD-40 and gray pads made the top look uniform and nice. By "uniform and nice", I mean that the cast iron was medium gray, smooth, and somewhat reflective, but not shiny-with-a-glare mirror gloss.

If you want mirror-level shiny, then you can polish the surface with increasingly finer grits, polishes, and buffing compounds. Treat it like preparing a car for the auto show. It won't cut wood any better, but it might impress your friends.

Whatever you do, protect it with wax or other similar protectant. I use Johnson's Paste Wax or Boeshield T-9. Either one is fine; I make the choice based on my mood that day.
Tony B and difalkner like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I always use Scotch-Brite pads, never steel wool (on anything). I don't even have any steel wool in the shop, matter of fact - haven't had any for the last 10 years or so. The little fine pieces get into everything and they will definitely rust.

David
Tony B likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I have used the Boeshield RUSTFREE Rust and Stain remover. It left stains in cast iron. ....
You brought up an important point about the Rust-Free product. Since Boeshield Rust-Free is acidic, you need to rinse it thoroughly off surfaces, neutralizing it with soap and water or it will leave marks. Dry the surface and then protected it with wax or another product.

Last edited by Bernie_72; 08-13-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling & grammer
post #10 of 16 Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie_72 View Post
You brought up an important point about the Rust-Free product. Since Boeshield Rust-Free is acidic, you need to rinse it thoroughly off surfaces, neutralizing it with soap and water or it will leave marks. Dry the surface and then protected it with wax or another product.
Good point, but for my table saw, the stains appeared immediately. There was no time to rinse it off. The WD-40 and gray pads cleared it up.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-14-2020, 02:32 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I always use Scotch-Brite pads, never steel wool (on anything). I don't even have any steel wool in the shop, matter of fact - haven't had any for the last 10 years or so. The little fine pieces get into everything and they will definitely rust.

David
i hear you david! i brought home a freshly painted 1963 chevy II from the shop. my wife saw a little paint over spray on the stainless steel trim. she buffed the trim with 000 fine steel wool and left it. next day the dew had rust all over the car.
i too have switched to scotch brite pads for 99%
difalkner likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I get shiny with cast iron, it takes a fair amount of work, and an air da sander with grits up to about 1200, I use WD40 as the lube.

Coat with a Teflon Penetrant after.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
difalkner likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-15-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I get shiny with cast iron, it takes a fair amount of work, and an air da sander with grits up to about 1200, I use WD40 as the lube.

Coat with a Teflon Penetrant after.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
further [email protected]#
almost done, but when i was cutting the hole in the corian, it made it just a bit too big. wondering if there is a "structural putty" or something that i could put in the hole, and then sand or dremel to the right size?

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4794.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	393903  

post #14 of 16 Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Browne View Post
further [email protected]#
almost done, but when i was cutting the hole in the corian, it made it just a bit too big. wondering if there is a "structural putty" or something that i could put in the hole, and then sand or dremel to the right size?

K
Are you talking about the hole that you made for your router lift? You could probably repair it with something as simple as bondo or you could form and pour an epoxy lip. I put the same Incra (Jessem) router lift in my table. I had the cast iron cut out at a CNC shop but there wasn't enough structure left to make a lip to hold it so I formed up the bottom of the table and poured epoxy around the lift and then cleaned out the lip with my router:

Name:  IMG_0229.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  560.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Size:  462.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1153.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  473.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0842.jpg
Size:  509.6 KB

It's too bad you didn't go with the bigger version of the Incra router fence. You could have used the same fence for both your router table and table saw. Even though the fence on your saw looks really nice it will not compare to the accuracy you get with the Incra system.

If you like you can buy different components from Incra to expand the router fence into a combination fence what will have a 32" reach. Unfortunately it will cost you a few hundred $'s now to expand the Incra fence to handle both the router lift and table saw.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i didnt know i was getting this saw until two weeks ago, or i would have done just that. I wonder if there is something, bondo or otherwise, that is white, and i could form it up, as then i could dremel or route it to form. Im also concerned about it sticking to corian, as it seems not much does. I also read that someone had created dust from the corian, and then used an epoxy as the base, and mixed in the corian dust, and it might be much less noticeable, nor would it be a haven for sawdust!!

the cabinet there was my router table, and i cut it down (only 1/2 inch) and it now supports the end of the extension. corian is HEAVY. you see the 4x4s, which will be the base once i can decide on the design of it, that both will sit on, and have some kind of wheel setup. Always wanted one of these, and lucked out. Ill paint it at some point, but for now, its fine!

Im very jealous of that iron extension, and maybe one day ill find one that i can afford, but im happy that at least i got rid of the incredibly inaccurate craftsman table saw, that was so light i could lift it over my head with one hand. (this one, not so much)

Kent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4798.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	393955  

Last edited by Kent Browne; 08-16-2020 at 08:08 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-17-2020, 11:36 AM

That Delta Unifence looks very solid. I've never seen anything like it before but the design looks very interesting!

I ran across a few articles of people repairing corian with tinted bondo with good results. Although it sounds like it's very difficult to get an exact color match. Using dust like you mentioned might be a good option as well.

Does corian route well? Could you use bondo just to get the inside profile perfect and then use a router bit to cut a small 1/4" reveal around the top? Then you could fill that in with black or a different color epoxy. I've read that you can successfully route corian with a good carbide tipped router bit but not having ever worked with it I have now idea how difficult or risky that could be.

Last edited by Bernie_72; 08-17-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode