Tom in Toledo - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

View TominToledo's Photo Album My Photos
Tom in Toledo

Hey- just joined yesterday and already received some help on a project from the Woodworking forum. I've been a hobbyist for about 20 yrs. I've done a few big projects, including a full kitchen remodel with cabinets I built myself. I did frame less cabinets with an 11 ply baltic birch, and I finished them with General Finishes Black poly via an HVLP sprayer. They came out really well...pretty amazing actually considering I did it myself. I used adjustable plastic legs on the cabinets instead of building a base which made installation much easier. At any rate, I'm a commercial pilot and was in the navy as well. I moved to Toledo last year and have been rebuilding my shop. I added a 2 story two-car garage to my property and just finished wiring it up for my shop. I'm using Hitachi table saw as a back-fill until I get a full size saw. The Hitachi is actually a pretty darn good machine. I just picked up a Jet 2 Stage dust collector as well. I've got my Rikon band saw and a mortiser and 12 inch planer. Right now, I'm up to my ears fixing up an old home that is my new home and hopefully will be until I'm dead...at least that's the plan right now.

Tom
"You'll do better in Toledo."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome aboard, Tom !
looking forward to seeing some of your projects
once you get settled in.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 AM

View ScubaDoog's Photo Album My Photos
OMGOMGOMGOMG . . . I would LOVE to see the cabinet project as I am in the midst of doing that myself! We live for photos here of projects!

Glad to have you aboard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 01:41 AM

View Old_Tom's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum from another Tom. I was in the Australian Navy for 20 years and loved it. Sounds like you are getting into things in a big way. We look forward to seeing photos of the projects.
Hope you enjoy your stay.
Cheers mate!
Tom

I go overboard with every hobby I get involved in.......no exceptions!
Tom
post #5 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Frameless cabinets....Baltic birch finished with General Finishes Black Poly, seven coats sprayed via HVLP. I had the door fronts and drawer fronts made at barkerdoor.com. They are paint grade maple. I calculated that the time and material cost involved with making the fronts was at least the same as buying them from barker. Turned out to be a great choice for me. I’m going to build cabinets for my new home and will use barker again most likely for the door fronts. I used confirmat screws to join the cabinet boxes and Hardware Resources TP03 adjustable legs. My wife and I did everything else except for the countertops. The toe-kicks detach easily via some hidden pulls and provide a lot of stealthy storage space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD31C093-ADA6-4C42-89DB-EC6542DB50E5.jpg (333.7 KB, 20 views)

Tom

Last edited by TominToledo; 10-06-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Old Tom....I flew P-3C's (among other stuff) and worked with the Australians on a number of occasions. Their P-3's were total crap...though not too much worse than the ones we had in the USN. Regardless, anytime we got together and had a bit of time on the ground, all bets were off! We had some great fun drinking beer together...which is why I don't recall much about those parties. And fortunately, these parties were before cell phone cameras, so there is no photographic evidence. But we did have a bit of fun though.

Tom
post #7 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Central Florida

Tom - when I was a Storekeeper stationed in Bermuda in the late '80s,
I spent a lot of time with the P3 squadron VP-30 crews
(homeported in Jacksonville, FL where my family lived).
so I scored a lot of free flights home.

again, nice to have you aboard !!

post #8 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TominToledo View Post
............... been rebuilding my shop. I added a 2 story two-car garage to my property and just finished wiring it up for my shop..............
OK, let me get this right...........you get the lower level for the shop and she gets the upper level for her car. WOW!
How did you ever pull that one off? You are THE MAN!

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #9 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I was in the Navy on a carrier during Vietnam. Our main port of call was Subic Bay, PI. Very good thing there were no cell phone cameras then!
Confirmats are very good fasteners. In addition to the leg levelers I really like the Euro upper cabinet adjustable hanger & rail system. Just remember, the guy with the most tools wins.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I was stationed at Bermuda from Oct 1994 to July 1995...right after my squadron in Brunswick was decommissioned. I flew the Bermuda base P3 for 9 months until NAS Bermuda was closed. It was great to be there, even though most of the base was deserted. I fly there occasionally for Delta and most of the buildings you would remember have been torn down, including all of the base housing, the mess hall, the O CLub, the McDonalds, and the base command building right across from the old flight line by base ops. It’s a bit strange to see the place so deserted. The steps up the hill to the O’Club are still there....but they just end where the front door used to be. The post office and the chapel are still there.

Tom
post #11 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Central Florida

wow Tom, that is pretty drastic for a base !!!
I had many a meal at McDonalds and the galley.
I worked at the PSD building near the flight line
as the military ticket agent for official travel.
the commercial airline agents became close friends.
wow - thanks for the update.
and all the best in your new shop !!!!!!!

post #12 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I assume your shop is above the garage...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominToledo View Post
Hey- just joined yesterday ...... I moved to Toledo last year and have been rebuilding my shop. I added a 2 story two-car garage to my property and just finished wiring it up ........

After having a shop in the basement of a ranch house for 12 years, I swore I'd never have a shop either up or down stairs. Well, after I built my new house, 44 years ago, my wood shop ended up 15 steps up over the garage. It does have a double door with a support beam centered overhead for hoisting up heavy machines. Plywood is still a problem and carrying it upstairs is not easy. It's easier to break it up on the ground level, then carry up the smaller pieces.

Some machines were winched up the stairs on runners and that worked real well. I laid 1 X runners on the nose of the steps on either side and made a crate with rounded runners on the front.

Soapy water reduced the friction when needed.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The last time I used a mini-storage for a shop, i was living on my boat. I took advantage of the height of the mini-storage. I built a 2nd floor about 7 foot high in the back 8' of the shop. That way I wouldnt lose any floor space. I stored misc parts and some boat stuff in the rear section. Anyway, I had made a ladder to get on the "roof" of the enclosure I built the building roof was about 6 feet or so above my head. I hooked up a pulley system from the steel structure overhead and permanently hung a pallet from the pulleys. The pallet had straps on all four corners hoouked up to the pulley system. I was easily able to hoist 150 Lbs on the pallet. You might consider a pallet with spreaders hooked up to the pulley. Will make hoisting a heck of a lot easier.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode