switch for delta unisaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tom Boley

post #1 of 15 Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Boley's Photo Album My Photos
switch for delta unisaw

Hello, I am a new member and am looking for help in wiring the magnetic power switch for a delta 10 inch unisaw. The motor is 1 phase 220v. I needed to extend my power cord and when I removed the switch the 2 small red wires near the bottom came loose and I can't figure out where they go. I think 1 wire connects 95 to somewhere and the other is a short red wire that comes from the rear. I initially connected both wires to the terminal on the lower right hand side and when I plugged in the cord it shorted at the outlet. I've replaced both the receptacle and the plug but cannot figure out where the wires should be. I can upload photos if required. If I've destroyed the switch, can someone recommend a replacement? Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boley View Post
Hello, I am a new member and am looking for help in wiring the magnetic power switch for a delta 10 inch unisaw. The motor is 1 phase 220v. I needed to extend my power cord and when I removed the switch the 2 small red wires near the bottom came loose and I can't figure out where they go. I think 1 wire connects 95 to somewhere and the other is a short red wire that comes from the rear. I initially connected both wires to the terminal on the lower right hand side and when I plugged in the cord it shorted at the outlet. I've replaced both the receptacle and the plug but cannot figure out where the wires should be. I can upload photos if required. If I've destroyed the switch, can someone recommend a replacement? Thanks, Tom
You're going to have to post a picture of the switch to give anyone a chance. Every switch is different.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick response. I've attached some photos. I bought this saw in 1997.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I took the cover off my Unisaw and looked at it, mine is a 2004 model, so they should be pretty close, but on mine the red comes from the lower right terminal like yours does but then goes up to the left hand side of the coil to energize the saw, it is one solid wire with no breaks in it

I can't tell where the top one on yours is going, but it looks like it might be connected to the coil also, you might try connecting them and see what happens

I hate the new motor starters they have now, they are much cheaper than the older ones but they are also so much different then the old style, gotta just love the "globalization"
post #5 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 05:44 PM

But after looking at this schematic they probably came off the momentary on/off switches

post #6 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
lessons learned

Before I take anything electrical apart or even some mechanical things I take a photo or two. I disassemble mt RAS motor and did that, but even then the electric brake assembly order stumped me. HaH HaH.

I have a contactor switch on my 2 HP dust collector, and I'll look to see if it's similar.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 PM

The two wires go into the bottom side of the upper section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1516.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	291402  

post #8 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Steve, I thought that's where I reattached them but maybe I had something else wrong. I wired 3, 220v circuits for my shop and the other 2 are working ok. I wired the receptacles and ran the wire to the panel. I had an electrician install the 50A service and connect the 3 breakers. When I tried to plug the saw in there was an arc and one of the hot pins was damaged from the end to the hole in the pin. Now I have installed a new receptacle and plug. I tried several options of connecting those red wires but nothing happened when I pushed the on switch. It just dawned on me that I may not be following the proper procedures. Do I need to first push the off switch before I push the on switch?
Thanks, Tom
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 PM

All the burnt plug could mean is that it wasn't plugged completely in some time when it was used or unplugged while it was on. I have a miter saw that looks worse than that.

The loose wires apparently operate the magnet which controls the switch. I believe my saw has the same switch as yours. I think if you put the wires back like mine the saw should work.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 03:02 AM

View Brian Kelly's Photo Album My Photos
I had a loose wire right inside the plug, I cut off that plug and replace it with a new one, Hope this helps
post #11 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Hello all, I connected both of those loose red wires to the terminal on the bottom right side of the top switch but it still will not turn on via the green button. If I press the buttons on the top section the saw runs but not without the buttons depressed. I tried connecting both to 14. Same story. Then I tried connecting one to 14 and the other to the side terminal. Same story. I swapped wires. Same story. Could I have damaged the lower section? I don't understand how that lower section works.
Steve, your photo appears to show the wire from 95 going to the side terminal but I cannot tell where the red wire coming from the back of the box terminates. The schematic on inside of the cover appears to indicate a connection for 14. I am over my head here. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tom Boley; 04-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boley View Post
Hello all, I connected both of those loose red wires to the terminal on the bottom right side of the top switch but it still will not turn on via the green button. If I press the buttons on the top section the saw runs but not without the buttons depressed. I tried connecting both to 14. Same story. Then I tried connecting one to 14 and the other to the side terminal. Same story. I swapped wires. Same story. Could I have damaged the lower section? I don't understand how that lower section works.
Steve, your photo appears to show the wire from 95 going to the side terminal but I cannot tell where the red wire coming from the back of the box terminates. The schematic on inside of the cover appears to indicate a connection for 14. I am over my head here. Any suggestions?

The bottom part is the overload, if it is drawing too many amps there are bimetals in there that heat up and open the circuit, you very possibly tripped the over load when it shorted out the first time

See if you can push in the gray "screw" looking thing or possibly one of the other knob on the overload to reset it. Most motor starter have manual resets on the over loads
post #13 of 15 Old 04-23-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks to all your help my table saw is back making sawdust. I connected red wire coming from the rear of the box to 14 and the red wire from 95 to the terminal on the lower right side of the top part of the switch. Then I fiddled with that blue button on the overload and it came further out than it had been. Plugged in the saw, flipped the breaker, pushed the on button and it's back running like before the move. The photos and comments were very helpful. Thanks again to all. Tom
WesTex and Catpower like this.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM

View Kyle Schmidt's Photo Album My Photos
Hello all,
I recently bought a Delta Unisaw and am having wiring issues in the switch box. Tom or Steve could you post a few more pictures to confirm that I am wired up correctly.

Thanks,
post #15 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 08:20 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Schmidt View Post
Hello all,
I recently bought a Delta Unisaw and am having wiring issues in the switch box. Tom or Steve could you post a few more pictures to confirm that I am wired up correctly.

Thanks,
This is a 3 year old thread, Steve isn't around anymore, Tom's last visit was in 2017.

Might be more productive to describe your saw/setup and the issue you are having.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode