Still new to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Exiled to Missouri

View ThomasOSB's Photo Album My Photos
Still new to woodworking

Hello everbody. My name is Fr. Thomas Bailey. I am a Benedictine monk of Marmion Abbey (Aurora, IL) and I will be 30 y.o. next month. I currently work in seminary formation in Conception, MO, where I also teach history and am working on my Masters Degree at Northwest Missouri State University (Maryville, MO). I have been working around wood since I was young when my father received from my great uncle his Shopsmith Mark V. It is a tool that I still use today, it is a great machine. Unfortunately, I have never had time to study under any great master, so I have just picked stuff up along the way. From my father I also learned how to refinish antiques, though its been a long time since I did any caning. I am most interested in furniture building and refinishing. I have completed on my own a bookcase and a casket, this summer I hope to build a desk for myself.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

View RHarkins's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Fr. Thomas Baily, welcome to the forum.
Is that 'Father' Baily.... Do we 'have' to call you 'Father'...
Well either way... Welcome.
Is that casket made for you? I just hope you won't need it too soon.
Thats an interesting concept, making you own casket.... I guess that's one way to cut down on the costs of your own funeral. I've seen plans, how hard is it, to build a casket? Do you have any pic's?
Ron H
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM

View RHarkins's Photo Album My Photos
update

Found your post in Projects.... pic's of your casket.
I like it as well as the concept of making your own casket..
Might try it myself...
Although I'm not trying to hurry anything up.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Exiled to Missouri

View ThomasOSB's Photo Album My Photos
No the casket isn't for me, at least not that I am aware. It is for the next member of my religious community that has need of it. It actually is quite easy to build. I am planning on building another one this summer, so I'll see about getting some pics made of the process.

BTW ... some call me Father, others Father Thomas, and my family calls me Mark - so whatever, as long as it is not late for Vespers or dinner.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, Fr. I've actually contemplated (seriously) the Secular Franciscan order. It seems that may be appropriate a little later in life when I have time to fully commit (my wife and I have just started a family).

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Last edited by Streamwinner; 05-27-2009 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 PM

View Roger Newby's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Fr. Thomas Baily, welcome to the forum. I'm a new guy as well to this forum. I go past Conception every September for a family reunion in Stanbury, MO. I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum and don't worry about finding any master wood workers, we're all still looking for them. But there are a bunch of very good woodworkers available just waiting to get their brains picked.
Roger

i
post #7 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Father Thomas,
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. Good luck on your furniture quest. Any questions, feel free to ask. I am sure you will find people very willing to help here.
Mike Hawkins

"Give a man a fish, he will be hungry again in a few hours,
Teach a man to fish, and you'll never see him in church again on Sunday morning."
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 AM

View viavia's Photo Album My Photos
Refinish wood furniture in your house can save you a lot of money and your furniture will look as good as new. You can also make the pieces of wood furniture that actually do not match you renewing them so they will suitable with the rooms or places in your house. You will find that it is very easy to renew the furniture if previously you already have invested in good quality furniture that you have. You must have some materials and tools for the job, you should be able to buy them at local DIY store if you do not have these around house.
Some of your works will use a variety of products and chemicals, pay attention to read carefully all the instructions. Always keep away the dangerous products from children and animals.
Spend leisure time for the project. It is better to handle project just one item at a time especially when you have limited space because it can be fairly messy. Try to clean the furniture first and preparing the surfaces before you start refinish wood furniture.
Give the furniture a good sanding once you are pretty sure that you have removed as much of the old finish as possible. You should use a good quality orbital sander.
This will be highlighted as you apply the stain. The grain of the wood will be brought out and the furniture changed. You should seal it and then apply a finish after you have stained the item.
It is best important to use products from the same range as these will be produced to give the best results when used together.

Read more about it refinish wood furniture
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Glad to see you!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Glad to see you!
He forsaked us without posting for over 2 years.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2011, 09:47 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
ahhh, maybe those considering making there own caskets should hold off?. hope that wasnt like a jinx thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode