sanding wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

View BigFishBite's Photo Album My Photos
sanding wood

As you can see I'm new, and I have been all over the net looking for some simple answers, but all the places I have gone to do not list a category for just sanding.
My problem is, I cut plugs of wood from slabs 1/4 to 1/2" thick with a hole saw then mount on a mandrel and turn on my lathe, on some of the harder and oily woods Teak and Purpleheart the two main ones, I get 1/4 of the wood is dark then 1/4 light another 1/4 dark and last 1/4 light. I use these rings of wood for custom fishing rods so the light and dark is not acceptable for what I'm doing.
What can I do to get the rings sanded to the same finish, color constancy?
Thanks in advance BigFishBite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I don't turn, but I have sanded Purpleheart more than a few times back in my humidor-making days. Sounds like to me you are sanding the end grain. Are you cutting the plugs by entering the wood into the long grain? If so, you need to buy thicker stock and enter the wood at the end grain. This will give you long grain to sand on and will come out more consitently.

This may not be possible as the plugs will be weaker by comparison. Depends on your application. You may need to find cutters that will tear the fibers less than the ones you are presently using. IOW really really sharp, high quality plug cutters and go s-l-o-w as you cut.

Go for the long grain if you can use it that way. If not, you have to find a way to have the exposed end grain less porous after your cuts. Different porosity will look different no matter how much you clean it up after sanding.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 03-24-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode