Rookie, trying to learn - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

View tochsia's Photo Album My Photos
Rookie, trying to learn

My name is Jeremy, I am 34yo an married with no kids yet. I recently graduated RN school and working on my BS now, my wife will graduate in Dec. When I graduated the tempo of my life went from about 90mph to around 30mph, I got bored and started looking for a good hobbie. My wife had recently told me how her sister had been wanting a three mirror vanity for a long time and we had searched the net looking to buy. WOW. The prices were so very high. That started me thinking, and it went from there.
I started in April 2009. So far I have built a bookshelf for myself and a simply TV stand for my mother. I must say, I enjoyed every hour I spent in the sun; burning my skin, cutting, screwing, and glueing. I do not have a work shop (one day I will) but I do have sunblock. That cures the sunburn but I will have to wait for the shop. For now we live in an apartment and I have to drag everything out in the backyard and clean it all before I come back in, still I dont mind it. Rather do that all day then sit and play PS3.
So please be kind if I ask questions that seem silly and dont understand the terms in the answers. I have a feeling I will be spending alot of time on this forum.
Greetings to all and looking foward to learning alot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 AM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
You are obviously dedicated. Glad to have you with us.

Rob
post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM

View blondewood's Photo Album My Photos
starting out

Hi Jeremy,
I started like you. Needed some things and was on a tight budget. My first workbench was one of those big elec. co. spools with a scrap of ply on top. All my tools fit in a drywall bucket ( old jig saw and old circ saw). The bucket increased to 2 or 3 and a tool box and a miter saw so I built a 4 X 8 closed in work table and stored my tools in that and worked on the 4x8 surface. Then came the happy day when I got my 12X18 shed/shop. Nirvana. No more packing up every day. No more only being able to work in nice weather. When I'm tired I don't even have to pack or clean anything. I can just walk away and lock the door. It is thanks to groups like this and their patience with all my 'dumb blonde' questions that allowed me to practice this hobby that I love. I'm telling you this long, boring story so you won't feel alone and know that many/most of us started out just like you. Hang in there. It is well worth it!
Take Care,
Vicki

pic on left is my 4x8 table/storage, the other is my shop
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 PM

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
Nice But how bout some pictures of the shop inside LOL
post #5 of 10 Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Howdy,
Here you go. The first 2 are from 2001 when I got it and before I had the TS or a miter saw stand. The other one is from 2007. I should take a shot from the other end of the shop. What doesn't show on the left is my SS table and Delta SS, on the right is my Delta DP on a self-built stand. Also, I now have AC. That is where the little black fan is. I can't take the heat like I used to so it is a blessing for me to have it. Visit my site for more pics: http://mysite.verizon.net/v.hayden/index.htm
Come to think of it, I need to update that too. lol My DP is bigger and I have a new band saw (which I need to make a stand for) the air comp. will go on the bottom of the BS stand. You have to make every inch count with a small shop.
Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shed inside 3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	9036  

Name:	shed inside 5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	9037  

Name:	S7 007.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	9038  

post #6 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the boards.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Jeremy,
Welcome to the forums,I'm really glad you're here.I won't be the only one asking silly questions any more.
The Mrs.was a R.N.until she became disabled,she worked in E.R.s for years.Many R.N.s in the family,Daughters,sisters and a nephew,man those hospitals will burn you out.BUT,during slow times you can plan projects.
Good Luck,
Rick
post #8 of 10 Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM

View mbolt's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! I'm new too, but figured I'd welcome you.. would love to see the bookshelf, I'm working on one myself...
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Rookie,trying to learn

Wecome Jeramy,lotta great folks here that will do the best to help you out.I been workin on the BS bout 66yrs,er ah are we talkin bout the same BS???uhhhhh maybe not huh Hey vic whats that chair doin in there?dontcha know woodworkers aint got time to set down or that for the boss to set in???

Ken

Last edited by The woodsman; 05-20-2009 at 09:41 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 AM

chair

Hey,
That chair is because I'm old and fat and like to sit to scroll. lol Back in the day when I worked outside I stood to scroll, but I'm past that now.

I'm a nurse too. At the nut hut. I did 20 some years in the medical hospital and the last 15 at the local psych hospital. I love it, but like Jeremy said it does burn you out at times.
Vic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode