Rikon or Powermatic? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

View clayton's Photo Album My Photos
Rikon or Powermatic?

I want a bandsaw, and Woodcraft has a sale on the Rikon 10-345 18" bandsaw. While I was there over the weekend I talked to a sales person who showed me the Powermatic 14" bandsaw. I had read the Lonnie Bird book on bandsaws and his experence was more power and bigger was better. I'm not going to try to resaw railroad ties, but the idea of the 12" resaw of the Rikon was appealing also the 2.5 hp motor. The sales person said that Powermatic could be fitted with the extension block to give it the 12" resaw ability but it only has a 1.5 hp motor. What do you feel is the better of the the two? Rikon or Powermatic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Extraordinaire

View Hack's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the board!

I looked at both and purchased the Powermatic. It came packaged with a free riser block kit, which included the longer blade. I have only resawn material that is about 8", but it did just fine with a sharp blade and good solid fence.

I don't have much experience with the Rikon. I purchased the Powermatic based on discussions with woodworkers and the guys at the tool shop, as well as taking a "test drive" with both machines.

If possible, go to a WoodCraft store and see if they've got one they can show you in their shop. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, would you?

Good Luck!

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)
post #3 of 3 Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

View clayton's Photo Album My Photos
Rikon Or Powermatic

Thanks, Hack, my instinct is to go with the Powermatic, I didn't have the time last weekend to get a demo. The flier from Woodcraft said that they would do a Demo this Saturday and I intend to be there in the front row with my check book in my hip pocket. I had been to California and seen the Sam Maloof shop and see what kind of work he does with a bandsaw. I read the Lonnie Bird book and now I want to make expensive wood into sawdust. It always seem that you need a thinner piece of wood and there I go with a planer and shave it down when a resaw operation would be smarter. I just didn't know which tool would be best for me. I have made the mistake of being cheap and buying a lessor tool and then kicking myself in the backside for not getting the better one.
Jim in KS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode