Red Oak Stair Treads - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

View Irondistance's Photo Album My Photos
Red Oak Stair Treads

First ever Post!

Replacing old stair treads with new unfinished red oak treads. I plan on using a Dark Walnut stain but unsure about how may coats of Poly I need to apply for stairs that get a fair amount of traffic.

NORSEMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to use poly on them, I'd recommend 4 or 5 thin coats, dried THOROUGHLY and sanded lightly between coats. You want to coat them well, but if a coat is too thick, it will inhibit hardening. The same goes for drying. If it doesn't dry completely and you recoat too soon, you inhibit the hardening, and for stairs, you want it as hard as it can be. Some people might recommend more coats, but I'm not sure how much you would gain by that.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmwood_1 For This Useful Post:
Irondistance (02-26-2013)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
For high traffic areas, a commercial grade of "moisture cure" poly will provide the greatest durability. This finish is commonly used in high traffic areas, such as shopping center floors.
The Following User Says Thank You to scsmith42 For This Useful Post:
Irondistance (02-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
scsmith42, have you used this type of finish? I have not heard of it, so I've googled it and read a variety of information about it. Some say it's great, several say it's extremely toxic(made with toluene and xylene) and off-gasses for a month. One floor finisher said the company he worked with used it for about 5 years, but he'd never use it again. Manufacturer's sites say that, depending on the chemical formulations, it could range from very hard to very flexible. One person says it has to be applied by a licensed professional. So, I'm wondering if you have any personal experience using it, and if so, what that experience was?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Might be a plan to use a paste sealer for the pores/vessels in red oak.
Dried, you sand it back then stain and finish coat.
Otherwise any and all stains and finishes will soak into the body of the wood just as far as the vessels run = pour it on one end, it will leak out the other.
Take a 6' red oak board and put one end in a bucket of water. Blow into the other end.
Not so with white oak.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
scsmith42, have you used this type of finish? I have not heard of it, so I've googled it and read a variety of information about it. Some say it's great, several say it's extremely toxic(made with toluene and xylene) and off-gasses for a month. One floor finisher said the company he worked with used it for about 5 years, but he'd never use it again. Manufacturer's sites say that, depending on the chemical formulations, it could range from very hard to very flexible. One person says it has to be applied by a licensed professional. So, I'm wondering if you have any personal experience using it, and if so, what that experience was?
Yes, I have personal experience with it. Matter of fact, it's the finish that I used in my house when I replaced the floors about 7 years ago. It is only available from professional finishing supply houses, but it's the most durable wood floor finish that I'm aware of.

Yes, it is toxic but the out-gassing is only a few days. Wear a respirator when applying it (it goes on similar to regular poly). Also, I would recommend the "non-yellowing" formula; you won't believe the difference in 10 - 20 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scsmith42 For This Useful Post:
Irondistance (02-28-2013), mmwood_1 (02-27-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode