Raven - Ottawa, Ont - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

View LadyoftheRavens's Photo Album My Photos
Raven - Ottawa, Ont

Hello everyone,

I'm Jessie ( or "Raven") From Ottawa, Ont. I've been a woodworker officially for only the last year and half. I dabbled with wood carving and chip carving before taking a formal interest in woodworking as a career after my daughter began schooling in 2008.

In august of 2009 I graduated from the local college, from the Cabinetmaker and Furniture technician program with a gpa of 3.64. Unfortunately since then I've not been able to find work doing what I love which is working with real wood.

Seems most of the shops here focus on kitchen cabinets.

I had been hoping to find a woodworker to apprentice with but after several months of searching I've decided to try and go it alone. Focusing on doll furniture for the local artisans guild and custom projects with eventual plans of designing my own furniture for a unique niche market.

So if anyone knows of a Furniture builder in the Ottawa area that would be interested in an apprentice or would consider sharing shop space let me know as I'm still looking.

I will be posting a few pictures of projects I've helped build or built myself over the last year and half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Raven. Sorry to hear of your struggles to land the job you want. It is probably just a matter of time before the right opportunity comes along. Having the education under your belt will be a major plus I am sure. I look forward to seeing some of your projects. The fact that your funiture would be unique and for a niche market ups the curious factor as well.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Raven. I just saw your post in the project showcase section - fabulous! Keep posting - I'm looking forward to picking up a few tips from one formally educated in woodworking. I received my woodworking education at the school of "trial and error" (mostly error). I must admit, my GPA is very poor but I've picked up several pointers on this forum over the years. It's a good forum for sharing information. The guys (and gals) here have taught me a lot and I teach others by being a bad example.

Welcome, I think you'll like it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas Jessie.
You might consider taking a job at a cabinet shop, they often get requests for work that is out of their normal realm of work and you would be there to step up. You might be surprised at the opportunities that can arise out of a cabinet shop.
Just my experiences.

Did you say tool sale?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum, Jessie.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM

View tylerbjh's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Raven, unfortunately I'm in the same position as you, I'm also from ottawa however, I think we should talk, I'm looking for a custom furniture builder to go in business with. I can provide a professional finish, but have little skills in the actual building. Come summer I have a place to spray again. Keep in touch..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode