Novice Woodworker with a passion to get better! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Novice Wood Worker

View Murphy5584's Photo Album My Photos
Novice Woodworker with a passion to get better!

Hi Everyone! I just joined this group as I have been looking for a forum to talk with other woodworkers and learn some new things. I have always had an interest in woodworking but just started to get into it a little and acquire some tools last year after I had my first baby and decided to stop thinking about woodworking and start doing it!

At this point I have done few things like floating shelves and wood wall art. The wall art is what I am really interested in, not sure sure if I would sell anything, just make it for my home, give as gifts, etc but I enjoy going out and figuring out how to put something together and make something come to life. I am sure I have lots of questions that I would love everyones help on!

One thing that has been on my mind lately as I look at different pieces of wood wall art is to stain or to spray paint..?? Right now, my most readily available stain is Minwax from HD but I dont love it, I have heard the Verethane quick dry stain is awesome but for some reason I can't find it easily around where I live. Any recommendation on stain brands you like that dry quickly, good coverage, etc? I am also not the hunt for a grey stain - I LOVE the old wood/cape cod style grey but can't find one I like so far - any recommendations?

Below are a few pictures of things I have done and hope to share more in the future. I look forward to being part of this forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	318089  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 11:49 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Murphy.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 11:55 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site

Nice looking projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 04:07 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Murphy.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking projects!

Most woodworking projects have 3 parts or phases:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/wo...process-12743/

Everyone gets all excited about building a new project, some work from a sketch, some from detailed and measured plans, others just wing it. Those that wing it are usually pretty experienced and can visualize in their heads the construction and have done it so many time the details are just built in their minds. Construction details, like joints and structure, strength of materials, whether to add braces etc. all come with experience. You will gain experience and get better by just making more projects first hand or by watching others on videos or from reading, all of which are very worth while.

Finally, the last step in a project is applying the finish. You had better have practiced on some scraps way before you tackle the finish project or you will be in for some surprises. Then you'll be posting here .. how do I fix this finish ....?

Sharp tools and precise measurements are always critical to a successful project, so learn how to sharpen the tools that have straight edges like chisels and plane irons and leave the saw blades and router bits for the pros. Get a decent tri-square and framing square to check your joinery. I use a ball point pen to make lines because they are very fine and easy to read. When chiseling to a line, score it first with a sharp knife to prevent tear out.

You Tube is your friend at this point and it will even help way down the road because someone has already done what you are trying to do .... usually and they has posted their work.

Woodworking is not crafting, and while they have similarities, they aren't the same. Crafters don't build cabinets from sheet goods like plywood. However, they may make furniture from natural wood objects so there is a fine line. Live edge tables sorta meets in the middle where the natural look of the wood is preserved over having all straight lines and sharp edges.

:smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-30-2017 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a winger woodnthings.. wing-a-whacka wing-a-whacka wing-a-whacka wing-a-whacka wing-a-whacka... Sing along if ya know the words!
Obviously I don't.. lol
Strange I'm not very good with finishing ,but I can lay down a great paint job on your car or truck..

The lion sleeps tonight....

Nice stuff there Murphy.. Keep practicing and don't be ascared of failure..therein lies success.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode