Novice in Houston - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

View robbie7176's Photo Album My Photos
Novice in Houston

I got started in woodworking about 6 months ago and anyone who thinks golf is expensive needs to try woodworking! I live in Houston TX and am semi retired. My son and I own a pressure washing business and we hang Christmas lights during the season This is basically a hobby for me and so far I'm just making small things like cutting boards, band saw boxes, knife holders. etc. The first thing I made was as set of mesquite/epoxy end tables that turned out great. Not great enough to sell but I'm happy with them. I'm thinking one day I might get good enough to open a store on Etsy and sell a few things. Right now I still learning about equipment and different woods, finishes, etc. I'm looking forward to picking you guys brains for some tips and tricks. I'm also interested in the classified sections where I may be able to pick up some bargains. Regards, Robbie

Robbie Miller
A novice in Houston TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of good help here.
what part of houston you in?

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #3 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! This is a good site.

Like many hobbies, there are "startup" costs. But once you've got most of the big (costly) stuff, the monetary outlay levels out to something a bit more digestible.

It also depends how you want to enter the hobby. What kind of tools do you want to use?

I can make a nice cutting board with nothing more than a hand saw to cut the boards, a hand plane to square and smooth the boards, a combination square, and a rasp to round edges. $200 would get me everything. Storage space could be a drawer. But the method is manual, labor intensive, and slow. On the upside, when we have a power outage, I can continue building! Other bonuses: Quiet. Minimal saw dust (more shavings and wood chips), so it's better if you have health/dust issues.

Alternatively, you could use a table saw, a band saw, and a router. Those costs can get well into the $1000s. Storage space is a full single car garage. But the work is faster overall, especially if you're planning to do a lot of repetitive work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I live near the intersection of I-10 west and Beltway 8.

Robbie Miller
A novice in Houston TX
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post
Welcome! This is a good site.

Like many hobbies, there are "startup" costs. But once you've got most of the big (costly) stuff, the monetary outlay levels out to something a bit more digestible.

It also depends how you want to enter the hobby. What kind of tools do you want to use?

I can make a nice cutting board with nothing more than a hand saw to cut the boards, a hand plane to square and smooth the boards, a combination square, and a rasp to round edges. $200 would get me everything. Storage space could be a drawer. But the method is manual, labor intensive, and slow. On the upside, when we have a power outage, I can continue building! Other bonuses: Quiet. Minimal saw dust (more shavings and wood chips), so it's better if you have health/dust issues.

Alternatively, you could use a table saw, a band saw, and a router. Those costs can get well into the $1000s. Storage space is a full single car garage. But the work is faster overall, especially if you're planning to do a lot of repetitive work.
Yep, you're right. But I,m going with all the power stuff. I've got arthritis in my hands and I don't now how long I could go if I did everything by hand.

Robbie Miller
A novice in Houston TX
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7176 View Post
I live near the intersection of I-10 west and Beltway 8.
I will be moving back to league CityDickinson area in the late winter - early spring. Not close by

Anyhoo..............are you on the east side or west side of the beltway.

On the west side is one of the best hardwoods suppliers in the country - Houston Hardwoods.
Their quality is unmatched. And, they have a very large selection. Prices are about 1/2 of what lowes or HD charge for red oak. Everything is sold by the board foot in random lengths and widths. basicly that means you have to buy the whole board. Another great place not too far from you is Brazos Forrest products or something like that.
Then in Baytown, not too far south of I-10 is Wood finishers Depot. Just about any finishing supplies you might need at a decent price. They are very helpful because the family had/has a very large refinishing business and they know what is needed for what.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7176 View Post
Yep, you're right. But I,m going with all the power stuff. I've got arthritis in my hands and I don't now how long I could go if I did everything by hand.
Everyones body is different and reacts differently to different stimuli.
I am 73 and take zero meds. I have arthritus with spurs on both my spine and my right knee. I walk, I hihe i climb and do other activities and as long as I keep active, I have no idea that I have arthritus
Also recently developed arthritus in both hands in addition to trigger finger. Havent had any MRI's done on my hands yet. Anyway, I live in my RV and am currently volunteering in Birch Creek State park in Tx.
I enjoy oudoor stuff and volunteer to mow, cut back brush, clear and make new trails. In addition to mowing, I also regularly use power hedge trimmers, weedeaters and other hand and power tools. As long as I am busy, i have no problems with my hands. It's only if I slacken up a week or two, does the pain and inconvenience come back.
Maybe try power sanding for a 20 mins a day. The vibrations may lubricate your joints. It will probably hurt some initially, but after a few days, your arthritis may go unnoticed.

AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode