Not Too New - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
Not Too New

Been using the forum regularly for the last month and a half or so. I occasionally check out the new members and have always felt a little guilty about never doing it. It's my first forum and I guess I'm behind the times in forum edicate .

Anyway, my name is Zach. My occupation is in the name. I'm originally from Iowa (and proud of it!), lived in Minnesota for 4 years, and have now live in Omaha, NE for about 8 months. I was recently married in South Dakota.

My woodworking head knowledge probably exceeds my hand-on knowledge because I am fairly new to it. I guess I'm just more young than new to it. I would say I've been into it for a little over a year now and am in the process of setting up shop. Mainly waiting for the weather to change so the garage is enjoyable.

So far, I love the site and improving my woodworking skills!

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilEngineer13 View Post
Been using the forum regularly for the last month and a half or so. I occasionally check out the new members and have always felt a little guilty about never doing it. It's my first forum and I guess I'm behind the times in forum edicate .

Anyway, my name is Zach. My occupation is in the name. I'm originally from Iowa (and proud of it!), lived in Minnesota for 4 years, and have now live in Omaha, NE for about 8 months. I was recently married in South Dakota.

My woodworking head knowledge probably exceeds my hand-on knowledge because I am fairly new to it. I guess I'm just more young than new to it. I would say I've been into it for a little over a year now and am in the process of setting up shop. Mainly waiting for the weather to change so the garage is enjoyable.

So far, I love the site and improving my woodworking skills!
Weclome sir........

How is that workbench design coming along?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Got it designed on Sketchup, now I am just waiting on the weather. Probably April before I get going on it.

How is yours going?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Got it designed on Sketchup, now I am just waiting on the weather. Probably April before I get going on it.

How is yours going?
well......uh....er.....uh......lol......the word "going" may be a little strong.....lol.........I too am waiting for a little warmer weather to really dig in and start building but having never built anything like this before so I am not sure if a lot of what i want to do is "design sound" and waffling back and forth about what I really need and dont need.....

other than that it going great.....lol
post #5 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Zach,
Welcome to the forum. Could use a little warm weather myself. Good luck on your projects, don't forget to post some pics.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
well......uh....er.....uh......lol......the word "going" may be a little strong.....lol.........I too am waiting for a little warmer weather to really dig in and start building but having never built anything like this before so I am not sure if a lot of what i want to do is "design sound" and waffling back and forth about what I really need and dont need.....

other than that it going great.....lol
I did the same thing. I had my "design" done about 5 times and then modified something. Now I just need to do it before I have to change it again .

post #7 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I did the same thing. I had my "design" done about 5 times and then modified something. Now I just need to do it before I have to change it again .
question for ya....

I am only going to be able to have about 26 to 30 inches of actual table depth........are you installing any t-track or bench dogs?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
question for ya....

I am only going to be able to have about 26 to 30 inches of actual table depth........are you installing any t-track or bench dogs?
Yeah, mine is now at 33" deep (subject to change ) and I am going to have a front vise and tail vise with bench dogs 6" O.C. (on center) for each one. I got the Groz Hardware from Woodcraft and am just going to make my on vise with wood. I would recommend some bench dogs - it's just another clamp in your shop!

post #9 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, mine is now at 33" deep (subject to change ) and I am going to have a front vise and tail vise with bench dogs 6" O.C. (on center) for each one. I got the Groz Hardware from Woodcraft and am just going to make my on vise with wood. I would recommend some bench dogs - it's just another clamp in your shop!
got it........yeah i am green enough yet to not even really know any better about vises and bench dogs and t-tracks.......I use a workmate and basic old compression clamps and c-clamps right now......I'd like to upgrade but not even sure yet what i all need....(or why i even need it for that matter).....geesh....

just let me know if you'd like to stop over to the house for a cup of coffe and to design my bench for me.....LOL
post #10 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
got it........yeah i am green enough yet to not even really know any better about vises and bench dogs and t-tracks.......I use a workmate and basic old compression clamps and c-clamps right now......I'd like to upgrade but not even sure yet what i all need....(or why i even need it for that matter).....geesh....

just let me know if you'd like to stop over to the house for a cup of coffe and to design my bench for me.....LOL
LOL, well that's kind of a hike, but I'd be glad to help here .

Here is the link to what I got for a vise. I just plan on screwing in some 1" (or so) thick maple 5"x7-8" boards to make the vise. The bench dogs I'm just going to drill 3/4" holes with a spade bit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20452

From what I can tell its good hardware. Everything turns well and its the only one I saw with a handle included.

Hope I didn't make you design more difficult by adding one more thing to consider!

post #11 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM

View wonderwoman's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=CivilEngineer13;68367]Been using the forum regularly for the last month and a half or so. I occasionally check out the new members and have always felt a little guilty about never doing it. It's my first forum and I guess I'm behind the times in forum edicate .

Hi there! Just to let you know...Etiquiette is VERY important here! It isn't graceful to lick epoxy off your fingers either. Is it Tom?
post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM

[quote=wonderwoman;68416]
Quote:

Hi there! Just to let you know...Etiquiette is VERY important here! It isn't graceful to lick epoxy off your fingers either. Is it Tom?
LOL....not sure about the graceful part...in some circles it may be....but it sure can't taste very good....
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
LOL, well that's kind of a hike, but I'd be glad to help here .

Here is the link to what I got for a vise. I just plan on screwing in some 1" (or so) thick maple 5"x7-8" boards to make the vise. The bench dogs I'm just going to drill 3/4" holes with a spade bit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20452

From what I can tell its good hardware. Everything turns well and its the only one I saw with a handle included.

Hope I didn't make you design more difficult by adding one more thing to consider!
thank you sir.......it's gonna take me a while but I'll get there i think.....thanks for the great tips....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode