Newbie in the works - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

View joseluisl55's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Newbie in the works

At 63, it's weird to consider myself a newbie but here I am. The reason is I recently retired and I want to take up some form or forms of woodworking. I can put together a crude dog house and I have assembled a decent bookshelf but I am in awe of what some other people can do. At one time I delved in Jewelry making and repair so I know I can bring my experience from that to bear on my wood projects. I imagine at first I'll be asking lots of questions but hopefully soon I can be one sharing knowledge. Hello fellow craftsmen, woodworkers, artists, and human beings.

In for the Knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to a new hobby with a really good bunch of people behind it
Starting a new hobby at 63 is not unusual at all. Thats what pre and post retirement is all about.
At 63 you probably have the wisdom to figure out what is safe and what isn't and most times other skills in life can be crossed over into the new hobby.

Anyway, welcome aboard

Tony B

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Sixty Three isn't that late to start a hobby, of course it depends on the hobby too. Jewelry making requires an awful lot of detail, so if you were into that then woodworking shouldn't bee too far of a jump. What sort of projects are you going to be making mate?

I will state that link is a bit spoopy though... Says it's going to take you a site about plans.

-T

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2019, 08:33 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. You will find all kinds of information as the members are more than willing to share with you.
BTW, Colonel Sanders started KFC with his first SS check, it is told in KY.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm reception. I don't so much feel weird about starting at 63. It just seems to me like I know very little about a craft I love so much. But, hopefully, that will soon change.

In for the Knowledge
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. Yea, I think with my experience in Jewelry making, I may have a bit of an advantage. But, I have high respect for some of the projects I've seen people accomplish. Looking forward to share ideas and knowledge. The link is to something I am trying but I haven't even purchased that book. Seems to be very thorough for a newbie anyway.

In for the Knowledge
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I read the story of Colonel Sanders and I love the attitude. If I just have 10 percent of his persistence, I should do good. Thanks for the warm welcome.

In for the Knowledge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode