newbie with a request - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
newbie with a request

My wood ID site, www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ has gotten rather good reviews over the years, including on this forum, and I am now attacking a "wood and woodworking terms" glossary with the same energy and exacting standards I applied to the wood ID site.

The thing is, while I know a lot about a lot, there is REALLY A LOT that I don't know so I'm winging it on some of the entries, reading books and on-line articles and trying to condense what I learn down into glossary entries. It is still a work in progress but I've done over 1,100 entries so far, several hundred with what I believe to be very helpful illustrations, with much more to come.

I'd really appreciate any corrections and/or additions that anyone cares to make. My goal is to provide the most comprehensive, and accurate, wood and woodworking glossary in existance. The "most comprehensive" I can do all by myself (by just making stuff up ) but the "accurate" part is where I might come up short and would appreciate any help you care to give. Here's the URL:

www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_glossary.htm

I would also appreciate everyone spreading the word about what I hope will become a very useful on-line reference source for all of us. I doubt many folks on this forum read about new people who have joined and very few will see this post, so please consider putting up a reference on your favorite section of this forum to help spread the word. The more folks I can get to tell me how wrong I have gotten things, the better the glossary will eventually become for us all both as a reference and to point folks to so we don't have to waste our time explaining things that are already in the glossary.

Thanks,

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Paul. I have spent some time looking at your "terms" site...I have a feeling it is going to be as helpful and thorough as your wood pictures (which has been a bookmark of mine for 5+ years ) I am adding your new site to our reference section.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Welcome to the forum Paul. I have spent some time looking at your "terms" site...I have a feeling it is going to be as helpful and thorough as your wood pictures (which has been a bookmark of mine for 5+ years ) I am adding your new site to our reference section.
Thanks Daren,

I hope I'll get some good feedback from the folks here telling me what all I've gotten wrong so I can make it better.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Paul,

Glad to make your acquaintance. Your hobbithouse has been a wonderful resource for what, millions over the years? I am one and just want to say thanks for all the unselfish effort you shared with the world.

The terms site sounds interesting. Haven't been there yet but i will later today. Glad you joined and look forward to your participation and contributions to our site.

Kevin.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin. I've been thinking about about joining one or more wood forums for a while now and the other day when my aging brain couldn't come up with "climb cut" I decided it was time. Glad my site has been helpful to you. I still feel as though I've hardly started on it since I only have 50 or 60 species with "fact sheets" but I add to it slowly over time. The glossary is my big project for the moment.

Later ...

Paul

post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Paul,
Welcome to the site.I've been on your site and found it very informative,especially the wood id.
Yippee, more brains to pick,
Rick
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 PM

View EmunkThuccene's Photo Album My Photos
Nice post.

I'm new to the forum. Nice post.

Last edited by EmunkThuccene; 04-02-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode