Newbie to Forum Old Hand at Woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie to Forum Old Hand at Woodworking

I just wanted to say I am new to this forum and am enjoying it a lot. I am a retired/disabled woodworker. I owned my own company for over 37 years and did just about all kinds of woodworking/building/restoring.

The last 15 years of my career we restored antique homes and I loved that work a lot. Most of the homes we restored were of the early 1800s and I felt honored to work on them. It is a completely different world from new construction and is a challenge which I loved.

Earlier in my career, we built many new homes and I really don't know how many as there were so many of them. I now just piddle around out in the shop and sling a little saw dust when I feel like it.

One thing I really like about this forum, no one seems to look down on others that don't know building or the terminology of it. Everyone seems to want to help and that is great. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Jim,
This is a pretty friendly forum. There's no reason to look down at anyone. I always admire the beginners for having the guts to try something new and not be afraid to ask how to do it.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Welcome Jim,
This is a pretty friendly forum. There's no reason to look down at anyone. I always admire the beginners for having the guts to try something new and not be afraid to ask how to do it.
Mike Hawkins
Mike, I appreciate your welcome. I agree with you, everyone has to start somewhere. I have seen on some other forums where a person would be ridiculed for not knowing about certain things. Thanks again for the welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Jim, there`s alot of talent on this forum...what a great experience...restoring historic homes!!! I`ve always been interested in the challenge of restoration. I`ve been a Interior Trim carpenter for 35 years. I was fortunate to work with a crew that was fairly laid back. We had a great time...when the Economy was strong. Now-a-days I`m building furniture and weaving looms... what`s that all about...at 55 I guess I`m slowing down...kinda feeling the ackes and pains I guess. Don`t whear the tool belt anymore...it hanges on my saw horse`s...with everything still in it...Sheeech! At any rate...welcome to the forum! Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Welcome Jim, there`s alot of talent on this forum...what a great experience...restoring historic homes!!! I`ve always been interested in the challenge of restoration. I`ve been a Interior Trim carpenter for 35 years. I was fortunate to work with a crew that was fairly laid back. We had a great time...when the Economy was strong. Now-a-days I`m building furniture and weaving looms... what`s that all about...at 55 I guess I`m slowing down...kinda feeling the ackes and pains I guess. Don`t whear the tool belt anymore...it hanges on my saw horse`s...with everything still in it...Sheeech! At any rate...welcome to the forum! Rick
Thanks for the welcome Rick, I know what you mean about the work, it is either feast or famine. I am like you, I didn't wear my nail apron the last few years that I was able to work, the thing just got in the way and hurt the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode