Newbie forum member - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raneman65
  • 1 Post By Raneman65

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

View Raneman65's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie forum member

Hello from Texas folks. New to this forum. I've been perusing this forum for a while now, absorbing everyone's knowledge. So, i figured i'd finally register and contribute.

I would say i am an intermediate woodworker, but just barely. I have always had a love of woodwork and have many fond memories of playing around in my Grandfather's garage with some of his tools as a very young boy. He had a chest full of family heirloom tools passed down from a great, great (some count) relative that was actually a wainwright by trade. Or so I have been told. I have recently received what was left of that chest, but unfortunately it had been left in a barn and both the chest and a good number of the tools inside were ruined or in very bad shape. I am working on restoration of those that are salvageable and am finding some real gems in there, not the least of which is my relatives handmade wooden mallet. I have cleaned that one up and restored it pretty well if I do say so myself. I'll have to get some pics and post them. Not that it's all that spectacular, but it's sure special to me!

I've been getting more and more back into the hobby in the last several years. I must be slowing down in my old(er) age. I've been using a very old Ryobi BT-3000 table saw forever it seems. I purchased it new back in the 80's (showing my age). I also became to owner of an old Craftsman 10" contractors saw that I have mostly refurbished, but it has no dust collection and I just didn't feel like going to that much work to establish a dust containment box under it. I just don't see it being that accurate in the long run for what I would have to put into it. Instead, I just pulled the trigger on a new Laguna Fusion F2. Can't wait for that to arrive!! I suspect my little dust deputy/shop vac setup will struggle to do well with collecting that dust, but we'll see. I might just be in the market for a new collection system in the near future. I also have an very old Craftsman 12" 240v radial arm saw that I also partially refurbished. I couldn't pass it up when it fell in my lap, but never used it much. I just don't that style of saw even though that's what I grew up using since Dad had one (a little Craftsman 10"). They just seem too dangerous to me. Again, as I have gotten older, I'm a lot more conscientious about health and safety. Still got all my fingers and I'd like to keep it that way. If anyone wants/needs either of the Craftsman saws, drop me a PM. They are headed out!!

I look forward to chatting here.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2020, 10:40 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome aboard Rane.
please feel free to jump into the discussions and make yourself at home.
you can post your project photos to the gallery when you are ready.
you can also put something in your "signature" line that will show under
each of your posts. (totally optional).

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

View Raneman65's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks John. I thought I had done that already...
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Measure twice, cut once. Wood may be replaceable, but it sure takes a long time to grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Good morning, welcome! This is a good site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneman65 View Post
I'll have to get some pics and post them.
Yes, please. I'd appreciate seeing what was passed to you, even the ones you consider beyond repair. Wood rots, metal rusts. But it's amazing how "junk" can be refurbished into good working tools.

Geoff
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to WoodworkingTalk! Enjoy the site. Nice intro, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
Raneman65 (01-23-2020)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2020, 06:25 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I am considering thr Fusion 2 also. I believe they solved a problem they had with dust collection. It used to collect in the bottom of the cabinet.
BTW, I am also in Texas. I will be back to Dickinson, Tx in the sometime near future. Dickinson is near Gaalveston and not far from Houston also.Where are you located?

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 PM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
Welcome. I to would love to see pictures of those old tools.

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode