new to woodworking have question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

View simple simon's Photo Album My Photos
new to woodworking have question?

hey folks, i have spent the last 20 + years elsewhere, with usmc, so never had chance or time to do this, retired and have finally acquired what i believe are the required tools to do some damage, have a new cab. saw that has 30 cap. is there a reason why i cant put fence to left of blade and rip sheets of ply safely if i extend table to right and add support legs? table saw is 3hp steel city, so far works flawlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
choice

My dealings with the tablesaw, the side used is a matter of choice. but remember that you will have blade til at your hands, be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple simon View Post
hey folks, i have spent the last 20 + years elsewhere, with usmc, so never had chance or time to do this, retired and have finally acquired what i believe are the required tools to do some damage, have a new cab. saw that has 30 cap. is there a reason why i cant put fence to left of blade and rip sheets of ply safely if i extend table to right and add support legs? table saw is 3hp steel city, so far works flawlessly.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like like it will work.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2008, 05:20 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
It is fairly common to put the fence on different sides of the blade. There is a long thread about right or left tilt that shows you that saws come in both varieties, yet invariably the fence normally is to the right of the blade. If you have a blade that tilts to the left, it is probably safer to run the fence normally on the right of the blade, so that the offcut is not "pinched" between the blade and the fence. And if you have a right tilt blade, and want to be careful then you can put the fence on the left side of the fence. I have a PM66 that is a left tilt, (motor thus on the left side of the saw when facing it). I have a large sliding table on that saw. I also have an old unisaw that is a right tilt, (motor on the right side). I sometimes move the fence on the Unisaw to the left of the blade, but frankly, only when i am cutting something that I am really concerned might grab or kick otherwise.
best of luck
post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM

View BlockHead's Photo Album My Photos
One thing to consider is the thickness of the blade when using the built-in measure to set your fence. While the side of the blade (and thus the curf) toward the motor is always the same, the side away from the motor depends on how thick the blade is. So, if you have a left tilt blade and you use the fence on the right side of the saw, you can't necessarilly trust the markings on the fence guide.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 AM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Agreed, Blockhead, (sounds like I'm calling him a name here) is right in that you do have to consider that you can't go by the guide under your fence, without considering the thickness of the blade. not all kerfs are 1/8" But that goes sort of without saying, but good of him to remind you. But still, YES, you can put the fence on either side of your blade. ESPECIALLY if you are not making cuts with the blade tilted. If the blade is not tilted, the basically there is no difference in the cutting. Just that it is not what you might be used to, so take a bit more care.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
I also agree with the above mentioned, I use both sides all the time and find no difference other that your comfort zone.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
This is an interesting thread. I had wondered what difference it made on a TS whether right or left tilt. I had not thought about ripping a board with the blade at an angle, and how you could get a pinch if you had the fence on the wrong side. Good safety tip.
Other than that, I can't see any big problem which side the fence is on.
Thanks

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode