New to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeff Reed
  • 1 Post By Jeff Reed

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

View Jeff Reed's Photo Album My Photos
New to woodworking

Hello everyone

I live in SW Indiana I've always been a DIY person. I build my computers, I've built a couple cars to go zoom zoom. I work in heating and air as a technician. I bought and renovated an early 40s home to live in. It's a small home with a full basement and I live alone (aside from the coolest cat in the world...who now that I think bout it actually owns the home. I just live here). Family have built homes for Habitat for Humanity as well as subcontracted and built their own homes. They taught me what I know about working on homes. Their help combined with my profession and willingness to learn allowed me to finish wood flooring discovered under layers of carpet and flooring. I tore out all the galvanized water pipes and replaced with PEX. I rewired the house from the ground up.

I've now caught the woodworking bug. I built a corner wall hanging hutch over my computer desk but had no woodworking tools beyond circular saws, miter saw and sanders. I think I did well with what I had to work with but wish I had a router for edges rather than run molding to cover cut edges.

I bought a router (Bosch 1617 fixed and plunge). I'm building a router table and overbuilding with drawers, dust collection, etc to test myself and teach myself..and show myself what tools I need to make future projects better and cleaner. I tried my hand at resin epoxy top on the router table as a test to how well I did with it and how well I liked it. I may eventually replace a peninsula counter top with a live edge epoxy counter top, possibly pairing that with the same style live edge epoxy end tables in the same room.

For the time being I'd like to put the woodworking tools in the open basement, but eventually I plan on finishing the basement and using the detached garage as a woodworking shop with an addition built on to that garage.

I'm going to need help with dust collection and air filtration and I'll create a post in that section once I have time.

It's nice to introduce myself and I'm looking forward to learning and growing my tool collection and abilities.
Tom-G and Tool Agnostic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2020, 11:19 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum, Jeff !!
that is quite a resume. and the Habitat projects are something to be proud of.
when you get settled in, we look forward to seeing some of your projects.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Smith_inFL For This Useful Post:
Jeff Reed (10-18-2020)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2020, 12:53 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Jeff, and welcome to WoodworkingTalk! Yours is the best first post introduction I have seen yet. Well done.

There are many great people here who are happy to share their knowledge and experience with you, and I bet you can help some of them too.

Post a few photos as you go along. I like to see other people's projects to get ideas and inspiration. Shop photos are popular too. Good luck with your woodworking and dust collection. We look forward to your future posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
Jeff Reed (10-18-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Jeff! Add your location to your profile, please.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

I agree with TA - good introduction.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Jeff Reed (10-18-2020)
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

View Jeff Reed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Welcome to the forum, Jeff! Add your location to your profile, please.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

I agree with TA - good introduction.

David

Woodworking plans are starting small and I'll see how well I do at it and how much I want to invest in tools.

I need to build some shelving. My home is 720sq/ft with a full unfinished basement and 2 car detached garage. Rooms are kinda small with small closets so I need to use space efficiently. Things I need for the home are custom built shelving units, a corner kitchen cabinet possibly with a usable butcher block countertop, and wall hung cat play pen.

If I can put in a couple quality shelving units or custom built cabinets that will really help with the small rooms.
I also need to build a triangular shaped floor standing cabinet with countertop to go next to my kitchen sink and between the basement doorway/stairs. If I do a butcher block countertop I can slide scraps directly into the sink and disposal.

I have a big tv hanging on the wall in my bedroom and a spare home theater receiver I can make use of. It would be ideal to have some wall hung shelving to put it on rather than stack it on top of a dresser.

I'd like to build some space saving storage in my closets also

The cat play area is in my spare room/study. I have an open wall right next to a window...seems perfect for giving my cat some things to act like a cat on.

If all that goes well, which I think it will. I'd like to build a murphy bed in the spare room that will fold down over top of a loveseat. If I can make all that look clean and professional then I might try my hand at some end tables and a peninsula countertop.

PHEW!! That's quite a to-do list. I better get my butt moving :P
difalkner likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode