new to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Philly newbie

View Phone60's Photo Album My Photos
new to woodworking

Hi,
My name is Greg and I live in Philadelphia PA.
I always wanted to do woodworking ,but, never had the time. Now that I retired early young age of 59 I am starting to delve into this wonderful hobby. I was lucky enough to find a woodworking school in Philly and am learning how to use all the machines safley . Since i have a small workshop I'm now searching for the best benchtop tools ( drill press,router table, etc) and a contractor type table saw. So if you have any suggestions I'm all ears....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas Greg.
I have a Powermatic contractor saw with extension with router lift in the extension. Love'm both.

Did you say tool sale?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

I have an old castiron top/wings craftsman table saw, craftsman 12" bandsaw, (same vintage as table saw) and a few hand tools collected over the years.
Oh, 6-1/2" Jet Jointer (the green one). Homemade router table, Craftsman floor model drill press with a custom made drill press table.

Pick what you can afford and HAVE FUN !!!!

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Craigslist can be your friend

Welcome Greg

Congrats on retiring so young! I have about 2 chances of retiring in the next 12 years, slim and none.
Like Texas Sawduster, I have an older model Craftsman TS with the cast iron top. I found it on Craigslist and while at the guys house picking it up he threw in a Delta Dust Collector, and router table with a nice Hitachi 3 hp router. I couldn't talk him into selling his bandsaw though. I also found a new, still in the box, jet mini lathe. The seller of that also threw in some tools and lot of exotic wood and pen kits. I have also seen a lot of junk being sold on Craigslist for a lot of money so you have to do your homework and be ready to move when a good item shows up.

I think it is awesome that you are taking classes as well, you will get a lot more enjoyment from the equipment you do buy. Best of luck to you!

Bill
San Antonio, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode