New from Seattle area - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

View timjpearson's Photo Album My Photos
New from Seattle area

I was searching something and ended up here. Decided to join after I saw helpful answers from helpful people.

I recently built a shop/barn on my property. The barn is for my wife, the shop is for me. So now I have a 900sf dedicated hobby woodshop. I like making unique items for family and friends, whatever seems interesting, mostly furniture or household items. I had a few basic craftsman tools, bench top stuff mostly. My plan was to upgrade to better stuff over time and outfit my shop slowly. Then I saw one of those too good to be true ads on craigslist that turned out to be true. I went from next to nothing to an overflowing shop overnight. I have too much stuff now.

Long story short, I bought the entire contents of a cabinet maker's shop for a steal. I now have at least two of almost everything. The purchase came with literally everything you'd need for a woodworking shop. 2 table saws, 2 shapers, 2 planers, 2 drill presses, 2 scroll saws, band saw, jointer, edge sander, spindle sander, lathe, Meplamat, 3 chops saws, 3 compressors, dust collector w/remote, hand tools, 150 clamps, 6 routers, 5 drills, every imaginable electric hand sander, nail guns, 2 rolling tool boxes full of tools, 6-8 levels, every size and shape of square, etc. It came with boxes of shaper bits, router bits, saw blades, drill bits, dados, hole saws, chisel sets, sand paper, jigs, etc. It even came with a phase converter for a couple of tools that use 3-phase power.

I was overwhelmed for a while going through it all. I don't know how to use all the tools. I don't know what some of the various things even are. There aren't manuals for most of it. Some of it is really old. Some of it is quality stuff, some of it isn't. It’s just about every brand: Delta, Rockwell, Jet, Grizzly, Reliant, Belsaw, Rigid, etc. I think I'm to the point where I know what I'm keeping and what I’m getting rid of. I now have the shop organized and wired. I put in fifteen 110V outlets, six 220V outlets, and one 440V outlet (utilizing the phase convertor). I am almost done with the ductwork for the dust collection system, waiting on parts.

All that to explain why I may have some odd questions from time to time, such as “what is this?” and “what do you do with this?”

Tim Pearson
Maple Valley, WA

Last edited by timjpearson; 01-04-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjpearson

I was overwhelmed for a while going through it all.

Tim Pearson
Maple Valley, WA
Welcome Tim and Congrats on your new shop and equipment.

You can probably find the manuals you need in PDF form online. Just make a list of what you have including model numbers then go to it.

I can see why you're a bit overwhelmed with all the gear but many of us here would love to be in your shoes! :)

Ok so 2 TS's, I'd keep both and dedicate one to dados.

You listed 2 planers. I'm thinking you could keep the better of the two and sell the other if you need the space.

Same with the shapers, drill presses, compressors and scroll saws.

Keep every thing else!

You have friends here that will be happy to answer all of your questions.

I'm really tickled for you Bud!

How 'bout some some photos of your shop? We love pictures.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey

Last edited by jharris2; 01-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and well done. If I were coming over for a holiday I would consider giving you a week to run you through the tools and show you how to use them. Australia is a long way away.

You might find some wood workers group / club where you can join and get more training. Sounds like you have fun days ahead. I envy your find and your space.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:
timjpearson (01-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. I'll work on the pics... kind of want to wait until the dust collection is finished, since I have unfinished duct work hanging at the moment …waiting on 6" blast gates and flex hose to come in the mail.

You have to add all of what I listed above to what I already had. I now have 3 table saws, 3 drill presses, 4 chop saws, 7 routers, 4 compressors, 2 jointers, etc. I'm definitely having a tool sale soon.

Regarding routers, a friend of mine mentioned "you don't change bits, you change routers" .

I hadn’t considered dedicating a table saw to dados. Will think about that. The main saw is a Delta Unisaw with a huge custom table (9’ x 5’). The 2nd table saw is nice older Delta contractor saw (from when things were all metal and solid). My existing saw was Craftsman 10” in a Rousseau stand.

On the planers, one of them is a standard planer, a Rigid 13”, but the other is the Belsaw planer/molder with all the molding knives, and I do mean all the knives, good grief I’ll never figure them all out. I’m keeping both .

One of the scroll saws is a really old Delta, antique, probably from the 40s. The other is a newer bench top Delta variable speed.

The band saw is a nice older Delta Rockwell. It’s in great shape and works well.

The Delta jointer is ancient and I’m not going to refurbish it. It’s pretty rusted, has the stand and motor. I’m sure somebody that likes vintage stuff will want it. I have a new Grizzly.

What do you think about the Meplamat 4000? I just can’t can see why I’d keep it. It’s huge, takes 440V, and seems too specialized.

I’ve fired everything up and ran wood through them. The one thing I really don't know anything about is the lathe.

Last edited by timjpearson; 01-04-2013 at 05:41 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. I'm new to Seattle, myself. Stuck in apartment so I can't do any woodworking at the moment, but I'm thinking of renting space at a woodworking studio soon.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome and great job snatching up those tools. I know you'll enjoy learning and using them.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjpearson
definitely having a tool sale soon.

Regarding routers, a friend of mine mentioned "you don't change bits, you change routers" .

I’ve fired everything up and ran wood through them. The one thing I really don't know anything about is the lathe.

1) Can you have the sale in Australia?

2) good advice. I would say that with your ROS as well. Don't change your paper change your sander

3) I have 9 lathes at last count. Come down for a visit and I'll give ya free lessons and put you up.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:
timjpearson (01-04-2013)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #9 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Tim,

Welcome.

When I read your story I kept checking to make sure I was reading yours and not mine. Our stories are so similar it's scarey.

I built a new house in 2008 but I had been shop-less for a couple of years. Good fortune came my way and I was able to build a new shop/barn/tack room/ranch implement storage/ loft building in 2009. The barn is for my wife as well but the 24' x 40' shop is all mine. Insulated, heated, 200 amp panel and a bathroom truly my dream come true.

I had a lot of jobsite type tools already because I was running a custom home building company at the time but I need to get the stationary tools needed for the new shop. So Craig's List to the rescue. I found a guy selling his mostly Grizzly tools for about fifty cents on the dollar almost new stuff. I don't think I got the "score" that you got but I did very well and was most grateful. I already had an antique Delta Jr. Unisaw that I've had since I was a kid and most all the small power and hand tools I needed plus way more than I needed because I retired from the home building. On Craig's List again, I sold enough of the extra tools I didn't need to pay for all the new shop tools.

Anyway, I acquired a Grizzly G1023SLX cabinet saw, 17" band saw, 15" planer, 8" longbed jointer, 20" drill press, 2- 2HP DCs canister type with chip separators and a bunch of DC pipe, hoses and fittings. I already had a drill press which I converted into a mortiser and later I added a small shaper and power feeder.

I ran over to Maple Valley about two years ago and bought a bunch of really nice white ash lumber from a guy very reasonably priced, Graig's List.

I'm about a 2 hour drive from where you are. I'd be happy to help or offer advice on your shop set up. I have set up several shops over the years, mostly for cabinet construction and for building doors and millwork.

Here are a couple of photos of my shop which has been well used since I got it going. My avatar shows the view from the shop door. Note the two table saw-outfeed table-work area. A shop is always a work in progress. Since the photo I've raised that low bench in the background up to bench height and added a vise. I keep adding drawers and storage.

My little slice of heaven.

Bret

New from Seattle area-pc260262.jpg

New from Seattle area-p1070291.jpg

New from Seattle area-pb280219.jpg
post #10 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Bret. Our stories and buildings sound very similar. My shop is 24' x 36'. I posted pics of it under the "show us your shop" thread.

If you're ever in the area, let me know. I work fulltime during the days, but am home weekends and evenings.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Tim, welcome. I'm just up the road a bit from you in North Bend.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #12 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Funny, I moved to Maple Valley in '07, after 10 years in North Bend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode