New From Sacramento, CA - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Wilson's Photo Album My Photos
New From Sacramento, CA

Hello,

I'm not 100% new to woodworking I took woodworking classes in high school many many moons ago - I'm 55 now. My high school had a well-equipped woodshop.

I actually came here, because I am in the process of restoring a cabinet I found at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. It's going into my Master Bathroom to display my vintage double edge, single edge, straight razors, and shaving brushes and another wet shaving supplies. I'm trying to find out of there is a tool that I could cut some notches that will be rounded at the along the edge with that is isn't a router larger 1.2" or 30.5mm for my large shave brushes to slide into and 1/2" for my razors. There is only 5" between shelves so I don't believe a router will work - obviously, I could be mistaken. I've included a couple shots of the cabinet together and taken apart. I want to make these slots in the shelf behind the doors.

This may end up being the only cabinet for this purpose I do and any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0794.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	364806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0796.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	364808  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a thought...

Welcome to the site! If I understand you correctly you want to find a way to cut features into the shelves to display your shaving razors and accessories but the shelves are pretty close together? if that is the case, why not consider making some small pieces from a similar wood or complimenting wood that can be attached to the shelves with glue or double sided tape? This way they can be customized to fit the various items (brushes, razors, cups...) better and you can arrange them on the shelf for better viewing, instead of everything in a straight line.

Sounds like you have quite a collection! Next thing you'll tell us is you have a beard!

Just a thought.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Wilson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw Dust Rules View Post
Welcome to the site! If I understand you correctly you want to find a way to cut features into the shelves to display your shaving razors and accessories but the shelves are pretty close together? if that is the case, why not consider making some small pieces from a similar wood or complimenting wood that can be attached to the shelves with glue or double sided tape? This way they can be customized to fit the various items (brushes, razors, cups...) better and you can arrange them on the shelf for better viewing, instead of everything in a straight line.

Sounds like you have quite a collection! Next thing you'll tell us is you have a beard!

Just a thought.
I've thought of this matter of fact I also considered having a local plastics place make me something out of clear plastic/acrylic.

I do have quite a collection and I actually use all of them in a weekly rotation. LOL I find them at estate sales, flea markets, the occasional garage sale. I restore them and use them and those I don't use I sell or give as gifts.

LOL No I don't have a beard, but surprising even to me a lot of wet shavers like myself do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Tom! When you get a minute add your location to your profile so it will show in the left panel.

Sounds like a neat project. Post photos when you get it completed.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I think that @Tom Wilson could get a lot of enjoyment from designing and building custom stands and displays for his collection of shavers. This is Woodworking Talk, so may I suggest making them from wood?

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 08-12-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode