New Michigan Woodworker - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

View Concelor's Photo Album My Photos
New Michigan Woodworker

Hi all
Michigan woodworker here, been doing hobbyist level woodworking since I was 6 or 7 being taught by my grandfather
Recently I come in to possession of his woodworking tools and looking to take a deeper dive into the world he introduced me
That said I don't see myself using my "new" radial arm" saw to rip sheet goods anytime soon
Love getting project ideas and advice from experts and those passionate about the craft

Alex

Why buy it when you can craft it?
...the extra cost just means more tools for the shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel. Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you.

What sort of woodworking are you planning? We like photos so show us those tools, your shop, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Concelor (08-14-2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 02:17 AM

View Old_Tom's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay!

I go overboard with every hobby I get involved in.......no exceptions!
Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Old_Tom For This Useful Post:
Concelor (08-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I HAVE used a RAS for ripping sheet goods.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concelor View Post
Hi all
Michigan woodworker here, been doing hobbyist level woodworking since I was 6 or 7 being taught by my grandfather
Recently I come in to possession of his woodworking tools and looking to take a deeper dive into the world he introduced me
That said I don't see myself using my "new" radial arm" saw to rip sheet goods anytime soon
Love getting project ideas and advice from experts and those passionate about the craft

Welcome to a fellow Michigander!.
OK, I am aware of all the dire warnings about ripping on a RAS.

It can be done safely, especially with larger panels. Here's what you need to know:
Which way to feed the panel into the spinning blade. You must feed against or into the blade's rotation, not with it, which will propel the piece, acting as a "self feed".

The second thing it to rotate the blade cover counter clock wise, so the nose of it just "kisses" the top of the workpiece. This will prevent the work from lifting up off the table from the blade's rotation.

Finally, NEVER allow your hands or fingers to be in a direct line with the blade. They must always be 3" or so off to one side.Always use a push stick or sacrificial piece is used to push any workpiece through and past the rear of the blade.

As to the original table... it's not really wide enough to support a large panel OR long pieces to cross cut. I removed my 3 piece table and replaced it with a single 3/4" plywood top about 24" from front to rear and about 6 ft wide, left to right. It has about 40" or so off to the left for supporting cross cut pieces. I used some 2" angle under the top which is bolted right to the saw's base. No problems what so ever.

The RAS gets a bad rap, and is undeserving when some simple precautions can be taken to improve safety. Dust control is another simple to cure issue. A small box at the rear with a port open to the bottom where a shop vac can draw in the sawdust which is propelled off the front of the blade works real well for my 90 degree crosscuts.
This saw is set up at 90 degrees "permanently" for precision. I don't want any variation that I may get by changing the arm angle and counting on the stops for miters. I use a crosscut sled or a really good miter gauge on the table saw OR a sliding compound miter saw for the rare miters I make.

Can you have too many RAS's ?
Not according to mdntrdr:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-14-2019 at 06:00 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

View Concelor's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with you the RAS does get a bad rap
That said, I think I'll still stick with a table saw for sheet goods
However, if I need cross cuts there no better tool I'd rather have in my shop :)

Alex

Why buy it when you can craft it?
...the extra cost just means more tools for the shop
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 08:22 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! I'm originally from a suburb of Michigan... a place called Ohio.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineknot_86 For This Useful Post:
Concelor (08-15-2019)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 01:28 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm originally from a suburb of Michigan... a place called Ohio.
dang thieving ohioans. toledo use to be michigan territory! until they whined and gave it to ohio
to make up for it we stole the UP from wisconsin, even though we couldn't get there until 1957
wisconsin has never forgiven us

welcome from northville mi
The Following User Says Thank You to _Ogre For This Useful Post:
Concelor (08-15-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode