New Member ..These forums are great ... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-10-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

View lohanso's Photo Album My Photos
New Member ..These forums are great ...

Hello all, I've been interest in woodworking for years but only in personal research/application projects. Bookcases, birdcage stands, motorcycle chock, toy bow, ect. A few things I'm very proud of, and many that turned out "usable" And I've always enjoyed it, even the goofs and failures because thinking of a new approach or learned a technique was fun and satisfying.

A project I'm working on now led me to this forum and there is very few internet pages devoted to an application I need. I'm re-decking a folding utility trailer with 3/4" Birch. Wanted marine grade but the cost was prohibited and the trailer is folded up in the garage 99.9% of the time anyway.

Main use is to haul a motorcycle and I've decided to go with Spar Varnish. Used polyurethane on the previous 1/2" decking and it was OK but didn't like the idea of having to sand/strip the entire old finish off to avoid "layering marks". I've read retouching worn spots with a lacquer finish blends in very good but haven't experimented with this. But the durability in the hot sun (Texas here) could be better.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried creating a anti-slip finish with varnish. So far I've found techniques using crushed walnut shells and salt. The salt application was intriguing, as the salt is added after the last coat dries and rinsed out after drying.Guessing the salt leaves minuscule pits with sharp edges, perhaps leaving a "etched" appearance. But I don't know, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum

I did put some fine blasting sand in some poly once to get better traction on the stairs I built to the deck, it worked real good until it wore off, but it had pretty heavy use for about 3-4 years before it should have been recoated

I say should have been because it is now 13 years since I applied it and never have gotten around to redoing it 9-10 years ago LOL
post #3 of 5 Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I used to buy deck paint for my boat, finish felt as though it had sand incorporated.

Google shows lots of brands available.

johnep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2017, 03:03 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Handy motorcycle lift in my garage. Because of its size and weight, there is no place to store it, so I park the motorcycle on it. The Handy lift has a ramp on one end. To park the motorcycle, I ride it onto the lift, pushing the front wheel into a chock that holds it in place on the lift.

One problem is the heavy, smooth (enamel?) paint that coats the Handy lift. While riding up the ramp and pushing the front wheel into the chock, the rear tire wants to spin on the smooth paint and slide out.

My fix was to go to the local skateboard shop and buy a couple strips of the wide "Grip Tape". To me, Grip Tape is basically a self-sticking, heavy duty sandpaper. The ones I bought were black.

I understand that you want to add traction to a nice looking finish. It isn't what you asked for, but skateboard Grip Tape works well for me.

P.S. Regarding salt - I have seen salt used for finishing concrete. It does what you would expect - the salt dissolves away and leaves a decorative texture in the concrete instead of the usual smooth surface.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 11-10-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2017, 02:19 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
P.S. About salt: I don't remember it leaving bumps in the concrete, only holes. The holes did have sharp edges. I don't know whether it would be different with a wood finish. Holes probably add a little extra traction, but I wonder how they compare with bumps (e.g. walnut shells or maybe sand?).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode