New Member ... New Shop - - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

View rkestes's Photo Album My Photos
New Member ... New Shop -

Good Monday from snow-bound Mid-Michigan ! I'm a new member, as of today, and am following the email prompt to introduce myself.
I grew up in the home building business, spent my career in Real Estate and now, as I near retirement, I'm following through on my long-standing threat to set up a woodworking shop at home ;>)
My challenge (and don't hate me for this) ... Too Much Space ! Seriously, I want to enclose a shop inside of a 50 x 60 pole barn. The building has a Full cement slab, 14 foot eaves (to bottom of trusses), steel siding and no insulation. I know the value of a high ceiling, so will probably retain 9-10 feet with a second-floor storage platform above, but I really have no idea what size or the best layout for my new shop space. Nor do I know the best way to heat it. I do have easy access to a 200 amp service panel, so that is a non-issue. Natural Gas is a No-Go, but propane is very doable. I've even envisioned the use of an overhead door in the end closest to an exterior full-height trac door, for warmer months of the year. That will also aid in moving machines in/out/around.

Any helpful remarks, advice and/or photos on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much !!

I look forward to learning a lot from this group !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute complete your profile with location so it shows in the left panel and you can add your name to your signature line.

We'd love to see photos of your space - before, during, after - all of it. We like pictures!

David
rkestes likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
rkestes (12-04-2018)
post #3 of 4 Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
shop doors and ......

I built a shop out of a 3 car garage. I used a double 42" wide folding door for moving large items in and out. The overall width is 7 ft.It is limited to a 6 ft 8" height, but for most things it works real well AND they seal up tight to keep heat in. On my heated garage, a different work space, I used 6 panel slide/roll up doors with Liftmaster flat wall drives. There is no center track and chain and drive unit in the way! They are also very quiet. I press large wood wedges between the door and the track to seal the any small gaps. I also pull the door down before pressing in the wedges to help seal the bottom gasket. Just a few tricks I've learned to help ward off DTE and sky high electric bills. I heat all my work spaces with electric and supplement with portable propane heaters if I have to work in the garage when it's really cold.

Do enter your location so those of us in MI will know where you are. I had a visitor from down the road last week, Bluenote38, and we had a good time chatting and I showed him around the place. He was easily impressed....
Catpower and rkestes like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-26-2018 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
rkestes (12-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
We have 45 acres NNE of Dallas about 40 miles, well it was 40 miles when we moved here in 1995, it is closing in fast. It was just a pasture when we got it, we pulled in a single wide to live while we (I) was "expanding" I first built a 50x50x10, figured I would never run out of room, a couple years later after I started restoring old John Deere tractors I built 30x50 off the back, John Deere is brutal on parts so I figured I could save some money buy getting the machine tools I needed, then I had no room for my wood working stuff, so I built the last shop I planned on building another 30x50 just for wood working.

Then my bidness took off so we built a 2800 sq ft house in the back of the property, it is wonderful, had an excavating company dig a 7-9 acre pond, I think it is closer to 7 the the Farm Service Agency said it is 9 acres. We had a D 10, D9, both high tracks and 6 19 yard scrapers going for 26 days to do that, they say they moved over 112,000 cu yds of dirt, then I built the last shop, it was 40x60x12, my wife took that over and I am still kicking myself in the a$$ for not going 14 ft side walls, never thought we would buy another RV but we did

We got into manufacturing HVAC equipment and modular penthouses so I built a 40x120 shop, and I am finally all finished building shops

They are all heated and cooled so I used force air, but for your environment since you probably don't need air you might look into those infrared tube heaters, they work pretty well in high ceilings, if not maybe a unit heater that hangs from the ceiling like a Modine, Reznor ETC

The stupid part is we are about to sell this place, I am getting too old to do the stuff I likes and pretty much have just been doing wood working, and the price of land around us is getting insane, but as soon as we commit to selling the market will dry up and I will be fine with that too, it is a neat place
rkestes likes this.

There is no app for experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
rkestes (12-04-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode