New member from Idaho - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

View Pokyrod's Photo Album My Photos
New member from Idaho

I'm new to this site. I have been wood working for the last 10 years are so. Mostly self taught with the help of a few friends. I grew up on a farm where welding was more important than woodworking, but started to do a few projects and fell in love with wood. My wife bought me a ShopSmith for our 20th Anniversary which really jump started my woodworking hobby. I've posted a lot of my projects on my website: Woodworking

Any other woodworkers from the SE Idaho area?

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Red

Red
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Rod,

I checked out all the projects on your site. You do nice work. I really like the way you see things.

Those boxes for your sisters, the sleigh bed for Amanda, all cool stuff. Any chance you could get a picture of the snare drum? I really liked the case you made. Building my own drums is on my long list of projects, along with a marimba made from osage orange.

I am much further along on the marimba than the drums, but still would like to see if your friend used plys or staves. Would also like to see the drum just to see it too of course.

Thanks for the intro, and welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Pokyrod Thats some nice looking stuff you have made. In the past 10 years you have learned a lot about wood working. But even the your first project, (fish tank stand) ain't bad at all. Welcome to the forum. I will be looking forward to seeing more projects coming out of your shop. I have been to the north west corner of your state, It's a beautiful place.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM

View LarrySch's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to LarrySch
Welcome Rod from another Idahoan - Pocatello, Id - man you guys get all the bad weather up there - I would have to say "Go Bengals" but I live too close to Boise - so "Go Broncos". Your woodworking looks great - wish I had some talent.

Larry

" have you hugged your pet today"

Last edited by LarrySch; 12-04-2008 at 11:11 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and Welcome. Some really nice you've made.

Jonathan
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Rod,
Welcome to the site. Nice work on your site. I have a pretty good assortment of vintage dirt bikes, along with one modern dirt bike. Glad to have you aboard.
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 10 Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Hey Rod,

I checked out all the projects on your site. You do nice work. I really like the way you see things.

Those boxes for your sisters, the sleigh bed for Amanda, all cool stuff. Any chance you could get a picture of the snare drum? I really liked the case you made. Building my own drums is on my long list of projects, along with a marimba made from osage orange.

I am much further along on the marimba than the drums, but still would like to see if your friend used plys or staves. Would also like to see the drum just to see it too of course.

Thanks for the intro, and welcome.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure if he is around or not. It was kind of a random thing. He was a poor college kid and heard that I was a wood worker and so asked me if I would make him a case for his drum. I decided it would be a fun challenge so used some scrape wood around the shop. Initially he said I'll pay you for it, but didn't even get a thank you and haven't seen him since. If I can look him up and get a pic. I never actually saw the drum, he just gave me the measurements.

Rod
post #9 of 10 Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySch View Post
Welcome Rod from another Idahoan - Pocatello, Id - man you guys get all the bad weather up there - I would have to say "Go Bengals" but I live too close to Boise - so "Go Broncos". Your woodworking looks great - wish I had some talent.
Larry,
Obviously you have great talent and I love your shop. I was hoping to build one this summer, but I don't have room on our current lot. Was looking to build a twin-home with a shop, sell one side and be out of a mortgage. However, with the economy I'm glad my wife talked me out of it. Currently I have one side of a double garage and so many toys, I mean tools, that I have to move them when ever I work out there. I guess I should be thankful to have so many toys!
My son lives in Boise and am looking to move that way some day. I would enjoy the milder climate, the only thing good about winter is it forces me into the wood shop and off the bike!

Rod
PS The Bengals need all the help they can get!
post #10 of 10 Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Rod,
Welcome to the site. Nice work on your site. I have a pretty good assortment of vintage dirt bikes, along with one modern dirt bike. Glad to have you aboard.
Mike Hawkins
Mike,
Off of the woodworking topic, what kind of dirt bike riding is there out your way? What kind of bike do you ride?
I had a bunch of guys from Indiana come out this past summer after viewing my site to ride around her. We have some epic dirt bike riding!

Rod

Tags
chubbuck, idaho, pocatello, woodworking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode