A new member from Huntington Beach - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
A new member from Huntington Beach

Introduction
I’m a retired communication network engineer. On Cin’co De May’o, 2003 the yellow (formerly red) communications giant declared their independence from me. Since then I have been going to school (Cerritos Community College) taking woodworking courses or doing woodworking in my garage shop.

Although I’ve been a “home improvement woodworker” most of my life, it is only the last 20 years or so that I have been into the general or norm of woodworking heavily. My first power saw was a new Craftsman RAS in the mid seventies. (A truly evil machine that was good for construction but little else.) In spite of the RAS, I still have all ten. A major fault of mine is being anal retentive when it comes to safety.

I have the typical power tools (Brand unimportant) and thoroughly enjoy woodworking. Most days I spend 4-6 hours in my garage shop.

Although I have built all of my shop cabinets, my true love is building Mission style furniture.

My favorites:
Oil finishes (made even more difficult by CARB) over fumed Oak usually followed by polyurethane
Mission style furniture in Oak

My other interests are watching Formula One racing and going to NASCAR races.

My general philosophy of life can be summed up as follows.

Trying to be a perfectionist and...
When a guy gets married, he becomes the most important thing in his bride’s eyes. As the children arrive, the guy is demoted in his wife’s eyes. After two children the guy is now number three. As the children grow and go off the college his wife gets a dog. As a result, the guy is now number four, behind the children (Numbers two and three.) and the dog is number one. We have all BTDT!

My religious preference and political party are…
Well,,, It’s not important and nobody really cares, least of all me.

My woodworking creed is, “Use the right tool for the job, safely!”

I have been asked about my handle or screen name. When LA hosted the 1984 Olympics, California residents were able to order personalized license plates for their vehicles. There were three styles offered with a stacked prefix. (CA, LA or US) I tried to get each of the three prefixes with ‘RICH’ but they were all taken. The clerk at the DMV suggested trying ‘RRICH’. The only one that was available was a stacked US and RRICH.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Old Methane Gas Cloud

Just one other thing of note. I've been a lurker for a bit. This forum seems to be a nice friendly place where the topic of interest is woodworking.

I notice that this forum allows screen names which I find very friendly and is one of the reasons that I joined.

Rich (Tilting right)
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
Introduction
My first power saw was a new Craftsman RAS in the mid seventies. (A truly evil machine that was good for construction but little else.) In spite of the RAS, I still have all ten. A major fault of mine is being anal retentive when it comes to safety.
Welcome Rich from Huntington Beach.
I also had new Craftsman RAS in the mid seventies, but I like how you describe it.

I've seen a lot of woodworking equipment on cragslist from around Huntington Beach going for bargain prices. Its a little far for me, I may have to make the trip eventually.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
Just one other thing of note. I've been a lurker for a bit. This forum seems to be a nice friendly place where the topic of interest is woodworking.

I notice that this forum allows screen names which I find very friendly and is one of the reasons that I joined.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Gee...your screen name sounds familiar. I'm trying to place it. At first I thought you were a famous movie producer or that guy in the movies called "Richie Rich". And then it hit me that you might be that famous woodworker from California. That's probably it.

Well you certainly snuck in here under the perimeter while I took a break to catch up on some sleep that I missed at noon (you know, that siesta thing). Anyway it's good to see celebrity joining our forum. This is a nice, polite, and informative place. Everybody has pretty good manners except for me. Not really a place for a quick and needy stop like a Jack-In-The-Box. More like a place you go to and want to hang around a while like Frederick's of Hollywood.

Maybe we can work on your dislike of that "evil RAS". I called a phillips screwdriver "evil" the first time it slipped from the screw and I jammed it in my hand leaving a bloody "X" in the epidermis. Well, thankfully, I quit calling it "evil" after I realized it wasn't its fault. It was mine. Mastering our tools helps makes us better craftsmen. Well, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Thanks for joining, and your input will be appreciated.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Old Methane Gas Cloud

Yeah Mike... Quite a difference in this place.

One thing I did notice. I copied a sponsor's ad and put it into a message. Hummmmmm, the forum doesn't like that for some reason.

Rich (Tilting right)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your mission-style work for us to see and admire. Huntington's nice. I lived in Long Beach for a few years before moving a bit north.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
HI there I'm also new from the (other) coast . I am also a race nut ( ground water air or wheels) if there racing I'm watching it.

Steve M.

Last edited by toolman Steve; 06-26-2009 at 07:47 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM

View Leatherneck's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

I used to live in San Clemente Ca. Back in the 80's. My kids were born in Long Beach. I used to work in Carona Del Mar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode