New member - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

View Packrat's Photo Album My Photos

Hello- Was just surfing the web and found this sight. After spending a couple of days reading the posts, I decided to sign on. I am a retired Industriall arts teacher and have run a small shop out of my home for about 35 years doing special order work. Advertise by word of mouth only. My shop as in my basement and would fall behind with my orders during the summer because I had to be outside . Just recently built a 24x36 shop in my yard and I live in there. This shop has been my dream for years. I hope I can contribute and mainly learn from this sight. Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Don, welcome aboard!

Having just built a shop, I think you could be a tremendous help, at least to me...I'm getting ready to build my shop, a 28x30 building, also in my rear yard.

Any pitfalls or mistakes you encountered along the way? Anything you'd do differently? Any and all suggestions are welcome, if you have time to share. Pictures are great, too!

I have a thread started under "General Woodworking" titled New Workshop Begins. I am keeping a running list of photos of my project there, if you care to look. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3499

Good luck and enjoy the company here, lots of great minds.

regards,
smitty
post #3 of 10 Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 PM

View morgid's Photo Album My Photos
hi

Wecome retired Industriall arts teacher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM

View Check twice!'s Photo Album My Photos
Hi neighbour Don!

Good luck and happy building of the new shop. Hope to see some projects as you move along with your home away from home.

Let me know if you find a way of getting food service to the shop, I have tried for years and the better half just can't see that as a great idea. Don't figure!

Great woodworking day!
John

Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better.
But will make what I am looking at better!
post #5 of 10 Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

View Packrat's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome. On my shop (24x36), I put 3 36x42 windows, A used sliding patio door,and a 7x8 garage door to get lumber in and bigger projects out. For heat, I used a wood boiler that will also heat my house. That way, I can keep heat in the shop all winter. As an added touch, I put an old antique kitchen wood stove in one corner. a used frig, and a kitchen table. With that kitchen wood stove, I can light a small fire in rhe morning to get the chill out, have a coffee pot on, or even a pot of home made soup. The stove and frig was my wife's idea. The inside is all sheeted with 7/16 osb that I bought at $4.19 a sheet when dry wall was $8.00 a sheet. That way, I can faster anything to the wall and not look for a stud. I will post some pictures when I figure the picture thing out. I probobly won't be on the site for a while. I am leaving for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn. on Tue Apr 8. I have to bring my wife there and will be there for 3 weeks. After I come back, I hope to be a regular here. Don
post #6 of 10 Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 AM

View Check twice!'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Thanks for the welcome. On my shop (24x36), I put 3 36x42 windows, A used sliding patio door,and a 7x8 garage door to get lumber in and bigger projects out. For heat, I used a wood boiler that will also heat my house. That way, I can keep heat in the shop all winter. As an added touch, I put an old antique kitchen wood stove in one corner. a used frig, and a kitchen table. With that kitchen wood stove, I can light a small fire in rhe morning to get the chill out, have a coffee pot on, or even a pot of home made soup. The stove and frig was my wife's idea. The inside is all sheeted with 7/16 osb that I bought at $4.19 a sheet when dry wall was $8.00 a sheet. That way, I can faster anything to the wall and not look for a stud. I will post some pictures when I figure the picture thing out. I probobly won't be on the site for a while. I am leaving for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn. on Tue Apr 8. I have to bring my wife there and will be there for 3 weeks. After I come back, I hope to be a regular here. Don
Have a safe trip, and will catch you on the reverse side.

Chat soon
John

Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better.
But will make what I am looking at better!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 AM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site, and I hope things go well for your wife.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 PM

View Jack Brannon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Welcome Packrat. I hope things go good for your wife also. No matter what some macho liars say about their wives, most would be completely lost without them. And I am one of the guiltiest liars that there is when I make my mean wife and mother-in-law jokes to my equally guilty macho friends. I guess it is the little boy coming out in us because we all know we are lying through our teeth when we go through this stupid diatribe.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 PM

View allenn's Photo Album My Photos
Just be sure to bring your wife back with you after you take her to the Mayo folks.

allen norris
post #10 of 10 Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Don!

Did you say tool sale?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode