New Member - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

View Smillard's Photo Album My Photos
Question New Member

Hi
I am in the process of selling my husband’s woodworking equipment, tools and lumber. I have no idea, except which I gain from Internet search, on value of items and how much to ask. I hope to draw on your expertise to help me price things.
If this is not an appropriate use of this forum, please let me know.
Thank you.
Molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2020, 11:28 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Molly! Add your location to your profile, that'll help with responses.

As for pricing it's probably best to look at FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. relative to your locale. Are you wanting to sell all at once to one buyer or by the tool?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 PM

View GaryCK's Photo Album My Photos
How can we help, Molly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I am looking to seek tools/equipment separately not as a lot. I have a number of people interested locally but I have no idea of value of items.
Houidaille Powermatic Band Saw Model 141
Dewalt 790 12” Contractors
Delta Rockwell Wood Shaper 432-01
Craftsman 16” Scroll Saw

If I could get some ballpark prices that would be so helpful.

But hardest thing to price is all sizes of numerous metal and wood clamps: Jorgensen, Pony

I’d also like to get idea on value of lots of wood boards he had for projects. I guess I could advertise locally for someone to assess it. I just am concerned to have a potential buyer be the one to assess value.

Thank you for your thoughts, comments.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I am looking to seek tools/equipment separately not as a lot. I have a number of people interested locally but I have no idea of value of items.
Houidaille Powermatic Band Saw Model 141
Dewalt 790 12” Contractors
Delta Rockwell Wood Shaper 432-01
Craftsman 16” Scroll Saw

If I could get some ballpark prices that would be so helpful. (I don’t know how to upload photos if allowed)

But hardest thing to price is all sizes of numerous metal and wood clamps: Jorgensen, Pony

I’d also like to get idea on value of lots of wood boards he had for projects. I guess I could advertise locally for someone to assess it. I just am concerned to have a potential buyer be the one to assess value.

Thank you for your thoughts, comments.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 08:19 AM

View GaryCK's Photo Album My Photos
Hello, Molly. Here are my thoughts. I live in Wisconsin, so my thoughts are impacted by prices for tools I've seen here.

The band saw was the one I had the most difficulty finding anything about. My suspicion is that $400 would be the top end of what you could reasonably expect for the saw. If your husband had a larger collection of band saw blades you were selling with it, particularly wider blades, you might be able to go a bit higher. This appears to be an old saw, but a well-built one.

Is the Dewalt 790 a table saw or a radial arm saw? I apologize if I'm over-explaining but I don't know how much you know about tools themselves. A table saw would have a flat top with the blade coming up out of an opening in that top. A radial arm saw has a long swing arm that the saw motor and blade hang down from. I believe the 790 is a radial arm saw. If so, I'd suggest pricing it at $150 and being happy to get $100 from it. I sold a 10" Craftsman radial arm saw about three years ago for $75 and was happy to have done so. You might be able to go a bit higher since this is a 12" saw, so maybe list it at $200 and see what happens.

I don't have much knowledge of the Delta Rockwell wood shaper. Looking at a few pictures I could find, I suspect you'd be doing well to get $100 for it. If your husband had several different cutting blades for it, maybe a bit more here as well.

The scroll saw is likely the least valuable of the tools. I'd suggest listing it at $75 and taking $50.

The clamps and wood likely require a bit more information to offer a suggestion on. It really depends on what you have. Most woodworkers will never admit to having too many clamps or too much wood. I believe for both you'd get a better price selling on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace than in an auction for example. Both should sell easily in Pennsylvania, though.

It appears from this reply that you can drag and drop picture files into the box right below the reply screen to attach files to the message. Please try that and upload pictures of the clamps and wood. For the wood, take pictures of both the faces of the boards and the ends of the boards. Seeing the end-grain helps to identify wood. I'm not an expert on wood by any means, but can give you my best guess. If that doesn't work, reply here and let me know. I'll send you my email address so you can send them directly.

One other suggestion, I don't know how comfortable you are with having strangers over to sell the tools. I suggest that you only accept initial replies by email so that you can take your time in responding and not get pushed into a place where you're not comfortable. Craigslist is especially good for this as you reply through Craigslist so email addresses aren't shared unless you choose to do so. Don't post your exact address in a listing either. There are people using any of the online selling sites who will try to steal from you so be careful.

I hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 05:57 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on where you live, you might consider reaching out to a local woodworking club for advice. They may be potential buyers, too.

Where I live, we have a fairly large and active woodworking club. Sometimes the members are faced with the sad duty to help the family of a member who passed away. Prices are fair but low, in order to make sure that most things sell. Everybody knows each other, and it would be unthinkable that someone would take advantage from our group, but I do not know other groups around the country.

These things are a huge thankless effort for a small team to tag everything and get it arranged for sale. I have no idea how you could hold such a sale in current times with "social distancing." Most of our club members would not come, as most of them are in the highest risk categories.

You are better off getting advice from members who know the local market and what to expect. In general, power tools and wood cost too much to ship, so you are confined to the local market. Some rare, exotic hardwoods can be quite expensive. Other common woods are so common, they won't sell so easily.

Best wishes and good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode