New here, already wounded :eek: - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
9.5 fingers

View stinky151's Photo Album My Photos
New here, already wounded :eek:

Hello all. My name is Lincoln and I am new here to the forum. I have tinkered with little wood projects for years, but never got very serious about detail and quality. I have ventured more deeply into the craft over the last couple of months. I look forward to learning to build better, higher quality projects in time.

I am also a shade tree mechanic, and do a large amount of work on motorcycles. When I am not working on them, I spend a lot of time riding them. I am an MSF rider coach and the word "passion" is an understatement for how I feel about bikes.

I hope to be able to develop my woodworking skills in order to help me do custom work on bikes as well. I am currently designing some composite parts and plan to make wood plugs to develop my molds.

To support these addictions, along with my family, I am in the USAF. I work as a firefighter, and currently manage the E911 center for my base.

Things were going great until last night. I was building a miter saw stand and was trimming a piece of wood on the table saw. I had the fence set to 1/16 clearance from the blade, and had to raise the guard. I turned my head looking to a stick to push the wood through. As I did I let my left hand rest without thinking. My thumb hit the wood in just the wrong spot, and the top of the blade (witch was about 1/8 inch higher than what I was cutting) ran right through the middle of my thumb. I did not hit bone, and thankfully did not lose my digit. I did care the grand canyon through my thumb, and they could only stitch part of it. The rest of the tissue will just have to heal.

I am lucky, and things could have been much worse. I ordered push sticks and feather boards today, so hopefully this will help keep my attention where it needs to be. This accident should never have happened, and i do not want it to be repeated.

Anyway, my tools are not the top of the line, but they work. My little bench top table saw drew first blood, but it works well. I plan on building a bigger table/better fence set up for it. I am also building a router table and finishing my mitre saw stand. I look forward to getting better at what I do.

Future plans include a jewelry box for mothers day, keepsake boxes for the kids, and a cedar strip canoe for me this summer.

Glad to meet all of you, and let my life serve as a warning to others. Be careful.

Lincoln

Last edited by stinky151; 03-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! "Senior member" on my name means I talk a lot.... I'm actually a beginner woodworker. Like you I use a benchtop table saw. FYI, I have an "auxillary fence" (made from plywood) on my factory fence. I also have various blocks of wood with little bits of plexiglass glued/screwed to them. If I'm doing something where I can't use the guard, I often clamp one of those shop-built guards to the auxillary fence to avoid oopsies.

I got the idea from a chapter dedicated to just that topic in Tauntons' "Working with Table Saws", which I highly recommend! Glad you just got a scare and a lesson, and welcome. Also, thanks for the laugh, this was a riot:

Quote:
"To support these addictions, along with my family, I am in the USAF."
Steve El
post #3 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for your service, Glad you'r ok.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky151 View Post
I turned my head looking to a stick to push the wood through. As I did I let my left hand rest without thinking. My thumb hit the wood in just the wrong spot, and the top of the blade (witch was about 1/8 inch higher than what I was cutting) ran right through the middle of my thumb.

I ordered push sticks and feather boards today, so this accident should never be repeated.

Lincoln
Sorry to hear of your mishap, and glad it wasn't too serious. But, having push sticks and featherboards won't prevent this from happening again if you turn your head away from the work. One important habit to form is to have yourself prepared beforehand with any aids or apparatuses you will need for a procedure, for machining, or glue ups, really just about anything. Don't mean to preach, just speaking from experience. Inattention or poor preparation can be a real PITA, and other appendages.

post #5 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
9.5 fingers

I agree totally. I allowed myself to be distracted, and my garage is kind of a mess as I try to get it set up. I preach safety in everything I do, but I let my focus lapse. I am paying a relatively minor price for the mistake. It was stupid. I know the safety devices will not prevent accidents, but they will help me keep my focus where it needs to be.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
safety report

Now comes the safety report, was in USAF so know about them. Glad you still have all of them. Carl.
Quote:
I agree totally. I allowed myself to be distracted, and my garage is kind of a mess as I try to get it set up. I preach safety in everything I do, but I let my focus lapse. I am paying a relatively minor price for the mistake. It was stupid. I know the safety devices will not prevent accidents, but they will help me keep my focus where it needs to be.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Great, another biker!

You know the rule of riding is the inverse of the rule of sawing....
the rule of riding "look where you want to go, not down"
The rule of sawing is "look down, not where you want to go."
Actually bikers made pretty safe woodworkers since we have to do about 5 things simultaneously.
Watch the workpiece to fence relationship, know exactly where the blade and your hands are, support the work,, push forward, push down, push in toward the fence, count to 2 (pieces), count to 10 (fingers) afterward)
Welcome and fly ride/safe, bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Heal quick....want some reports on your plugs.Just remember that composites are very serious lung killers.Makes smokin cigarettes look good.The stuff gets everywhere......so it will really help you if you sart from the begining looking at dust management in overall shop layout.BW
post #9 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome man! Sorry to hear about your incident. Your an arfie, huh? I'm more of a truckie stuck on an ambulance... Nice to have another FF here!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
9.5 fingers

Well, ARFF is part of what we do. This base has no flying mission, so we just have 2 engines and medium duty rescue. I usually ride rescue because high angle and confined space are my bread and butter. Alas, in the air force we multi-task, so right now I am a desk jockey running the dispatch center. I do occasionally fill in as a battalion chief. Its fun though, and keeps me busy.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM

View toollovingschultz's Photo Album My Photos
welcome

I am relatively new to this forum not to wood working after putting a slight cut in my thumb and finger on my table saw cutting small pieces I moved to a track saw system with the dead wood concept the material stays put. good luck and don't cut anymore digits.
Andrew
post #12 of 20 Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky151
Well, ARFF is part of what we do. This base has no flying mission, so we just have 2 engines and medium duty rescue. I usually ride rescue because high angle and confined space are my bread and butter. Alas, in the air force we multi-task, so right now I am a desk jockey running the dispatch center. I do occasionally fill in as a battalion chief. Its fun though, and keeps me busy.
Cool beans, man. Stay safe!
post #13 of 20 Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Penmaker

View PenmanBean's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard! sorry to hear of your mishap, I try and think ahead before I saw anything but it can surely happen. Just purchased a new 14 inch bandsaw and it is a lot safer to use than the miter saw that I've been using. Take care!
post #14 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
9.5 fingers

Just an update...My thumb is healing well. I pulled the stitches out yesterday. It still hurts, and I have some numbness in it, but it should be okay. When it is done healing I think it will leave a good divot in my thumb. Oh well, hard lesson learned but I was lucky. I will post some pics of my projects this weekend.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am in the USAF. I work as a firefighter, and currently manage the E911 center for my base.
Lincoln
Welcome Lincoln from a former AF dude and a card carrying "honorary fire dawg" from Eskan Village.

Ut Prosim
post #16 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
FNG

View Grubgrub's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I will post some pics of my projects this weekend.
Blood and all? Just kidding. Good to hear you lesson is healing.

NW Portland, OR
Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we see too late the one that is open.
Alexander Graham Bell
post #17 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM

View theschwarz1's Photo Album My Photos
Ow! THats gotta hurt
post #18 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM

View FiveOneSix's Photo Album My Photos
Afe...

1st...i wanna see the thumb! yea i said it! i got a bum pinky, and if i find the pics i'll post them...stupid bowling balls!
FLEA from RHCP has a permanent divot in his thumb...he fills it with crazy glue!...from what i hear, he really does!
2nd...shoulda had a sawstop! j/k but i'm sure youve heard of them.
3rd...you know what AFE is? Armed Forces Entertainment. my band did 34 days in germany and england playing all the army and air force bases there. MAN that was fun!!! i hope to do it again someday...

oh and welcome HA!

-Jason
(FiveOneSix)
Long Island, N.Y.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM

View GWEE's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum
post #20 of 20 Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.
Glad to see your doing okay with the digit.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode