New Guy from Pennsylvania - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

View BigBadBuford's Photo Album My Photos
New Guy from Pennsylvania

I've posted a few times here previously, been a lurker mostly, but decided it was time I posted an intro thread.

I'm from Lancaster County PA, a computer programmer by trade and been getting into woodworking in my spare time. Although I was interested in woodworking since I was little, it wasn't until I got my own house a few years ago and started with home improvement projects that I really got into woodworking. I started by watching This Old House and inevitably ended up watching the New Yankee Workshop since it was on next, and after watching a few episodes I decided to pick up some tools and try it for myself. Over the past few years I've been building up my tool collection and building some small projects - but its only in the past year that I've gotten a decent shop set up and tried some serious projects.

At this point I'm mostly interested in building Arts and Crafts style furniture. I've liked the style since visiting a Stickley showroom a while back - plus I have a large free supply of white oak from my father in law since the gypsy moths have been doing a number on them the past few years. Some upcoming projects are a morris chair and an arts and crafts style desk - and probably some adirondack chairs for outside if I get the time.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome , I just returned from visiting your area I missed George's Furniture, I would have liked to have visited his shop from what I saw in the window he does nice work. http://www.georgeswood.com/ and Millers Smorgasbord ever been to either?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

View BigBadBuford's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVY View Post
Welcome , I just returned from visiting your area I missed George's Furniture, I would have liked to have visited his shop from what I saw in the window he does nice work. http://www.georgeswood.com/ and Millers Smorgasbord ever been to either?
I haven't been to his shop before - I should go some time since it isn't too far from my place. He typically sets up a booth at the Elizabethtown Fair every August so I've checked out his work before and it is very nice.

I haven't been to Miller's Smorgasbord either - but a guy I work with has been there before and said it was really good. We've been to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord a few times though - that place is great but I always end up eating so much I don't feel like eating for a few days afterward.. lol.

-John
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome... Since you're interested in arts and craft furniture, consider a scroll saw for your tool collection. My scroll saw has been an important tool for converting regular woodworking projects into artful furniture. Otherwise, you've joined a great forum!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM

View scootch's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Aboard John, CSer myself, but been woodworking on the side since before there were computers.

Just picked up a book on Craftsman furniture (Great Book of Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture, by Robert W. Lang)

Scootch from NoVa
post #7 of 7 Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode