New Guy Here - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AkiraK

post #1 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

View AkiraK's Photo Album My Photos
New Guy Here

What's up everyone?

I'm about to get into woodworking and figured I should find a place where I can pick up some tips and get some feedback.

I live in Ohio and just cleaned out my garage last Monday, and my dad and I are going to build a workbench. I've been wanting to get into woodworking for a while to build some furniture, specifically bookshelves. While perusing YouTube woodworking material, I came across some Paul Sellers videos on traditional joinery and fell in love with it. I want to learn how to build things that way, so I'm continuing to research this craft and making a list of tools I'll need.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you all can build, learning how you build it, and with any luck, showing off some of my own creations in the future. Cheers!

Last edited by AkiraK; 07-23-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome aboard !
it is nice that you and your Dad can work together.
the workbench is the heart of your shop, so put extra efforts
in the design and fabrication of it and everything else will
just fall into place.
and start collecting clamps !! you can never have enough clamps,

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing besides the workbench (that we would love to see, btw)?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing besides the workbench (that we would love to see, btw)?

David
Done and done

Here's my newly clean garage. I wish I had taken a "before" picture, but it was VERY cluttered. The workbench will go at the front, right next to the door. And I'll probably add some drywall at some point. On the right is a few random packs of roofing tile that I'll probably give to the Re-Store. I also bought a shelving unit at Lowe's and got some more of that junk off the floor. The workbench should be finished sometime next week.

EDIT: To answer your other question... I'm looking to get into traditional joinery (dados, rabbets, mortise & tenons, and dovetails). When the bench is set up and I have my tools, I'm going to get some planks and start practicing. I saw a video on YouTube that recommended you build a bunch of little boxes to develop your skills since most of what people build is just a box with some other stuff added.

Whenever my skills are up to par, I'm going to build some bookshelves for my house (another hobby of mine is reading, so there are piles of books everywhere).

I just like the idea of being able to create a piece of furniture and other woodcraft exactly the way I want it. Seems like it would pay great dividends over a lifetime.
difalkner likes this.

- Akira

Last edited by AkiraK; 07-23-2020 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 11:52 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
The adventure begins. Great that you're working with your Dad. Neither of my boys were very interested in ww'ing.

One of the first things you'll need to address is the electricals.

Re: Paul Sellers you are making a good choice. He is very good on layout, marking, etc. The Fine Woodworking membership is worth every penny IMO. Tons of articles, videos. You can watch some real masters like Phil Rowe.

BTW there is an YouTube excellent series on "the art of ww'ing" done by Phil Rowe.

My best advice is resist the temptation to rush into buying tools, and please, please always try to buy the best you can afford. Spend some time looking at catalogs: Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Highland Hardware (no, not Harbor Freight!)

Good luck!

Robert
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraK View Post
Done and done
Good job, Akira! That's a good looking space to fill with tools and projects. When it comes to buying tools we can certainly help spend your money for you!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM

View hoowasat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
On the right is a few random packs of roofing tile that I'll probably give to the Re-Store.
Welcome aboard! Think long and hard before giving away shingles you will probably need in the future. You can get 'em outta' your way by storing them in the attic, crawl space, basement, or shed.

Ken
Everything works out in the end. If it's not working, you're not at the end.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks y'all!

Yea, I'm still deliberating on tools.

The most vexing ones are the planes. If I want to do rabbets, dados, and mortise & tenons, I need to get a 1) dado plane 2) shoulder plane 3) smoothing plane, correct? I'm looking on Lee River's website as Dr. Robert suggested... The Veritas planes look a bit out of my budget unfortunately. The "WoodRiver" brand looks a little closer to my price range.

I see some Narex chisels that are a doable price for me - is that a pretty good brand?

- Akira
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 01:17 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Wish I could clean my garage like that...

It hasn't been that bare since 2000...
post #10 of 13 Old 07-27-2020, 09:00 AM

View Harleymike's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanks y'all!

Yea, I'm still deliberating on tools.

The most vexing ones are the planes. If I want to do rabbets, dados, and mortise & tenons, I need to get a 1) dado plane 2) shoulder plane 3) smoothing plane, correct? I'm looking on Lee River's website as Dr. Robert suggested... The Veritas planes look a bit out of my budget unfortunately. The "WoodRiver" brand looks a little closer to my price range.

I see some Narex chisels that are a doable price for me - is that a pretty good brand?

Welcome Akirak. You already have made a wise choice by joining this forum. Plenty if inspiration and assistance from the group will be coming your way. Seek and ye shall find here in this forum. A previous post advised against buying HF tools and purchasing the best your can afford and I second that. The best you can afford does not necessarily mean the best tool available however as those are quite expensive and certainly for the most part not something even remotely necessary at your stage of the game to get set up and building. Your choice of Lee Valley ( window shopping) is a good one as well as turning to Woodcraft and their planes and chisels. I believe Woodcraft features Bench Dog planes You will be very satisfied with this line of planes and the Narex chisels and they will service your needs for a very long time and from these tools will come some nice pieces. Are they the best on the market? Probably not but they are definitely good tools and you will definitely not be handicapping yourself with them in the arsenal
Harleymike/chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 Old 07-27-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymike View Post
Welcome Akirak. You already have made a wise choice by joining this forum. Plenty if inspiration and assistance from the group will be coming your way. Seek and ye shall find here in this forum. A previous post advised against buying HF tools and purchasing the best your can afford and I second that. The best you can afford does not necessarily mean the best tool available however as those are quite expensive and certainly for the most part not something even remotely necessary at your stage of the game to get set up and building. Your choice of Lee Valley ( window shopping) is a good one as well as turning to Woodcraft and their planes and chisels. I believe Woodcraft features Bench Dog planes You will be very satisfied with this line of planes and the Narex chisels and they will service your needs for a very long time and from these tools will come some nice pieces. Are they the best on the market? Probably not but they are definitely good tools and you will definitely not be handicapping yourself with them in the arsenal
Harleymike/chicago

Thanks for the tips Mike!

I chuckled about the Harbor Freight comment because that's kind of a running joke in our family - whenever someone talks about buying a piece of hardware, someone sarcastically blurts out "Why doncha just go to Harbor Freight and get it for five bucks??" I've never set foot in there and never will

I ordered a divider, brass marking gauge, and a Japanese pull saw from Lee River last night. And my Dad gave me some old woodworking chisels - a 1-inch, Ĺ-inch, and two ĺ-inch chisels (never hurts to have an extra, I guess!) They need sharpened, so I watched the Paul Sellers video on sharpening chisels and am currently shopping around for a sharpening stone set.

The last major thing on my list is some planes. I'll check out the Bench Dog line!

We also got the workbench in and I'm installing a vise tomorrow. I've made some rough sketches of the bookshelf I want to make as well. I'm getting there! Very excited to buy some planks and start practicing.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the others about good hand tools. You get what you pay for. As noted above, Harbor Freight is NOT the place to buy hand planes, chisels, and similar tools.

At the same time, there is a place for Harbor Freight, too. Some things that Harbor Freight sells are a waste of money. Others are great bargains. If you vow that you will never go to Harbor Freight, then you will miss out on some excellent values. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Harbor Freight has a great return policy if something doesn't work out; I rely on it.

FYI, Bench Dog is Rockler's brand. WoodRiver is Woodcraft's brand.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-2020, 04:22 PM

View Harleymike's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I agree with the others about good hand tools. You get what you pay for. As noted above, Harbor Freight is NOT the place to buy hand planes, chisels, and similar tools.

At the same time, there is a place for Harbor Freight, too. Some things that Harbor Freight sells are a waste of money. Others are great bargains. If you vow that you will never go to Harbor Freight, then you will miss out on some excellent values. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Harbor Freight has a great return policy if something doesn't work out; I rely on it.

FYI, Bench Dog is Rockler's brand. WoodRiver is Woodcraft's brand.

Ooooops. This goes to show you that I spend far too much time and money in both stores lol. However the bench dog line of planes are definitely good planes to start with and with proper care/handling will perform well for years to come. I feel he same way about Wood river. The Woodcraft line as well. They may not be Leigh neilsen but still very good planes.
Harleymike/chicago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode