New guy from Canada - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mulak
  • 1 Post By mulak
  • 1 Post By MarryU
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 45
View mulak's Photo Album My Photos
New guy from Canada

Hi everybody

I'm a 29 years old hearing impaired guy from Oakville, Ontario and I'm a pastry chef for a restaurant. I always wanted to do woodworking for a long time and now I'm finally taking a plunge into it

I hope you guys can help me get started or guide me to the right direction :)
MarryU likes this.
mulak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,885
View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more. There are many facets to woodworking, and depending on YOUR wood interests - only you can decide where you feel comfortable. When you find that niche, then start researching the tools, materials, and techniques required to build your skills. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
woodchux is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 PM
HALL OF FAMER
 
Kenbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,361
View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. Woodworking can be a slipper slope once you get into it but it's a blast. Great to have you as part of the forum.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Kenbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 45
View mulak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Welcome here to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more. There are many facets to woodworking, and depending on YOUR wood interests - only you can decide where you feel comfortable. When you find that niche, then start researching the tools, materials, and techniques required to build your skills. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
Thank you for the welcome... currently I have no idea on my wood interests but definitely something small, popular and easy to sell locally. Someone here suggested wooden utensils or similar kitchen items because I'm a pastry chef at a restaurant right now.

I'm not looking to make big profits, just enough to cover the cost of the materials and a little leftover is always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Welcome aboard. Woodworking can be a slipper slope once you get into it but it's a blast. Great to have you as part of the forum.
nice to see another fellow Canadian here ... haha hopefully I won't trip or fall and can glide easily :)
Kenbo likes this.
mulak is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Junior Member
 
MarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
View MarryU's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulak View Post
Hi everybody

I'm a 29 years old hearing impaired guy from Oakville, Ontario and I'm a pastry chef for a restaurant. I always wanted to do woodworking for a long time and now I'm finally taking a plunge into it

I hope you guys can help me get started or guide me to the right direction :)
welcome to be here 😌

Chencan cnc router from 1998.
skype marylee0411
mulak likes this.
MarryU is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
mikechell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 1,266
View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site, Mulak.

If you invite us all to breakfast at your house, I am sure we could bring plenty of great advice, some nails maybe ... someone might have a hammer or two ...

You know, We'll call it a "potluck" ... you cook up the pastries ... we'll bring some wood working tool or bit of knowledge !!!

Just joking, of course. <pastry chef, huh?> Welcome to the site, no strings attached. <'cept the string that closes the icing bag>
mikechell is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 45
View mulak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
Welcome to the site, Mulak.

If you invite us all to breakfast at your house, I am sure we could bring plenty of great advice, some nails maybe ... someone might have a hammer or two ...

You know, We'll call it a "potluck" ... you cook up the pastries ... we'll bring some wood working tool or bit of knowledge !!!

Just joking, of course. <pastry chef, huh?> Welcome to the site, no strings attached. <'cept the string that closes the icing bag>
lmao funny

thanks for the welcome
mulak is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Brian T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: McBride, BC
Posts: 2,648
View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. I'm just west of Jasper Nartional Park. Same mountains but not the crowds and prices!

I think the best way to start is to do some serious looking at woodwork.
What do you see that you admire most? What of those things would you like to be able to make?

I've done quite a bit of spoon (70) and fork (30) carving as kitchen prep utensils.
About 90 minutes each in batches of a dozen with very good and very cheap birch carving wood.
You gotta go like hello to get them done and sales were always slow (farmer's markets.)
I got bored and quit.

Went back to wood carving with a strong Pacific Northwest influence,
without being so foolish as to try to copy any of the 4 design styles.
Brian T. is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 45
View mulak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
Welcome. I'm just west of Jasper Nartional Park. Same mountains but not the crowds and prices!

I think the best way to start is to do some serious looking at woodwork.
What do you see that you admire most? What of those things would you like to be able to make?

I've done quite a bit of spoon (70) and fork (30) carving as kitchen prep utensils.
About 90 minutes each in batches of a dozen with very good and very cheap birch carving wood.
You gotta go like hello to get them done and sales were always slow (farmer's markets.)
I got bored and quit.

Went back to wood carving with a strong Pacific Northwest influence,
without being so foolish as to try to copy any of the 4 design styles.
I think I want to do furniture, wood decor and other similar things.

I think I rather make a piece and work on it when I have time and then sell it or keep it for me

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
mulak is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Brian T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: McBride, BC
Posts: 2,648
View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
There's a body of very accomplished wood workers in this site.
From lumber selection to tools to finishing.
Ask all the questions that come up.

Another thing to do is to visit nearby(?) lumber yards and wood supply places to ask about wood working clubs and/or classes.

While anybody can make chips and sawdust, there are lots of safety issues that you have to learn about the equipment.
For me, it began with helping my Dad then some wood working classes in school. Finally, professional carving instruction.

While my wood carving tools are about the best you can buy (mostly Pfeil), my power tools like table saw and band saw, etc
are so crappy as to be an embarassment. But, they don't see weekly use so I'm OK with it.
Brian T. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome