New to the forum and new-ish to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
MJC

View MJC's Photo Album My Photos
New to the forum and new-ish to woodworking

Hello from Raleigh.

I joined because I am looking to learn as much as I can. I am mostly new to real woodworking and looking back on my past projects I realize that I wish I would have done things differently.

My grandfather was a woodworker and did some very nice stuff, however I was still young when he died and I inherited a couple of his tools including a bandsaw and a super old table saw that I would be interested in rebuilding at some point. I have also added a sliding compound miter saw, router & table, trim router, and a few other things to my garage woodshop. I am looking to buy a new table saw because the one that I was using finally gave out.

In the past I have done some projects (including a very basic set of shaker style kitchen cabinets that turned out ok for paint grade) bunk beds, a loft bed, picnic table, and several sets of bookshelves.

I am looking to really get into building some nice stuff like furniture that will not be painted. One piece that I am pondering is a 6-foot table for the back of our couch and a murphy bed for our guest room.

I am looking forward to any suggestions, ideas, tips, or feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site, MJC.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2016, 03:52 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard.

I think I basically followed your trail. My dad was a carpenter and built his lake house and quiet a few cabinets. That was in the 70's.

Now that I am retired, I spend a lot of my time in the shop, but I still don't consider myself a builder of fine woodworking. Our kitchen cabinets did turn out nice and we have really enjoyed them.

Good luck on your projects. If you decide to buy a good table saw, it will most likely outlast your lifetime. I bought the 3hp Grizzly 1023 several years ago and it purrs like a kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here MJC to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more, and you get to choose how to make your sawdust. Enjoy your stay, keep us posted at to your progress/projects, and be safe.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2016, 10:18 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a long list of projects to build. We have a small sofa table that is about four feet long and about a foot wide (not going upstairs to measure- too lazy). It was made by a Mennonite shop- all work done by hand tools.
Used to live in central NC and miss the fresh seafood!

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Tags
beginner, new guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode