Woodworking Talk banner

new to the forum

909 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  gmercer_48083 
#1 ·
Hi all, I received a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw from my father when he passed away. I have been looking at the saw and I found some slop in the arm, just enough to make the saw not square. I would like to use it, but I don't have a user manual and I have no idea how to fix the slop. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for allowing me to join

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, Robert! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

Sorry to hear about your father. If you'll get the model number off the saw and post it here you'll have better success in getting help. And we do like photos!

David

#4 ·
here is my dad's saw, it has allot of hours on it. I would like to get it up and running to use, but there is some slop in the arm around 1/8". It makes the saw slightly off square.
Any help you can off will be greatly appreciated, also if I need to post this in another place please let me know, thanks

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I'm thinking that I need to move this post to another spot on the forum
I never did introduce myself, I live in Michigan, retired and married for 37 years.

my last project was building cradles for my triplet grandchildren. I did use this saw for that project, that is how I discovered the slop in the arm
any help will be appreciated

#8 ·
Radial arm saws move in many different directions. It has been decades since I used a radial arm saw, so please forgive my poor terminology. I am still trying to figure out what "slop" means in this context. Are you saying that after you lock everything in place, ready to make a cut ... :

* The end of the arm still wiggles left and right?
* The motor shifts sideways or the blade "sweeps" or twists as you pull it in the arm track?
* Is the slop vertical (up and down) on the arm support?
* Is the slop rotational on the motor - swiveling it for a rip cut?
* Is the slop rotational on the motor - angling it for bevels?

A more detailed description might help.

#9 ·
the end of the arm wiggles left and right about 1/16 - 1'8". This happens at all angles, even after the locks are tightened
The "wiggle" looks like it is at the post that holds the unit up, I found two screws at the back of the saw on the post and tightened them. That had no effect
sorry for my lack of knowledge and thank you for your help

#12 · (Edited)
Robert, You may have to jiggle the arm from left to right as you adjust the set screws to help remove the slop and adjust it to square. The best way on an old saw would be to remove the post completely, clean and de rust, reassemble, then adjust by following the manual. if you use a lubricant, use a dry lube such as tri-flow, as it will not attract dirt and dust. There are wheels that are also adjustable on the carriage.

#14 ·
There is a good chance the radial arm saw was never tuned. If you follow all the set up, as though you just bought the saw new... and try to understand what each thing does, you will be happy with how it works. When I bought mine (1976), they never had negative rake blades at that time. A negative rake saw blade will help you make safer cuts with it being less aggressive. Read more about rake angle when deciding what blade to buy for your Radial Arm Saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.