New Connecticut member. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

View markmdz's Photo Album My Photos
New Connecticut member.

Hi all,

I just came across this site by way of a 3-day search for an oscillating spindle sander (which I still have yet to find), and got hooked by all of the great projects going on here. Although I did find a PowerMatic in Mass for $250, which is about 3x what I wanted to spend, but it seems like a steal at that price. http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/1019023185.html

I'm your typical DIY'er who's done renovations all over my own house, but have not yet ventured much beyond family/friends regarding other projects. In the past year or so I've taken a real liking to furniture building (thanks Norm), and various other interesting projects I would love to do.

Aside from some very basic projects like a few workbenches, and finish work all around my house, I have yet to build anything worth showing off.

However, that's soon to change. I've taken a liking to the art of guitar making, and am going to try my hand at a guitar from scratch, which is really only going to be a mock-up, not a real functioning guitar right now. For those who know what it is, I've even considered retrofitting this mock-up to use a guitar-hero guitar controls and making a full-scale custom guitar hero guitar.

Other than that, there are a few basic pieces I'm going to try and make in the coming months such as a bookcase, plant stand, coffee table, etc.

Are there any other members here in Connecticut?

Last edited by markmdz; 02-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. You will find all you answers here. Red

I had lived in CT for 40+ years before moving south. I lived in Somers then the Simsbury and East Hartland area.

Red
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Mark,
I like the idea of a wooden guitar hero guitar. Would enhance the playing experience and feel a bit more real.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

View markmdz's Photo Album My Photos
thanks for the welcome Mike and Red. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to tapping into the brains of so many here that are veteran woodworkers.

Great news on the OSS front. I actually found a place in Norwalk, CT that has a 5000 sq.ft. shop that they hold classes in and rent out in blocks of time to anyone. For $75, I can get 5 hrs or for $125, 10 hrs. of time in the shop and get to tap on the shoulder of any of the guys they have on staff to watch over the place and lend a helping hand or hint where they can. Hell, at that price, I can gain access to so many of the more high quality tools and/or tools that I don't even have or could afford, including an OSS. I'm very excited to check this place out.

As for the guitar hero guitar... I have a running bet with my brother that I could build the body and neck entirely out of one single 8 ft. 2x4. With the exception of the fretboard, I've done just that. I may not have a whole slew of tools just yet, but I do have my scroll saw, miter, Delta 6" joiner (much needed), hand planer and a handful of clamps (others too, but not used on this yet). With that alone I was able to plane, join, and glue up the body out of 4 lengths of 2-by. With the remaining length of 2-by, I had enough material to make the neck and head. ...now if only I had a plunge router to bore out the cavity's for controls. My fixed base won't do me much good there.

I'll be sure and post up pics as soon as I finish it up. Should be a few weeks as I have very little time for projects.

Last edited by markmdz; 02-05-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode