New from Buffalo NY - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

View JNieman's Photo Album My Photos
New from Buffalo NY

Hi everybody! Jon here from Buffalo. I'm 26 years old and just getting started with wood working. I started getting into wood working when I quit smoking in an effort to keep my mind and hands busy. In the end I'm proud to say I'm smoke free and found myself with a new satisfying addiction working with wood and making/building whatever I can dream up with what I got. Just finished setting up my first beginners workshop. I was hoping to get some tips on where I could find some fairly decent hand tools at a modest price and also what are some of the essential tools I need to get? When it comes to power tools I've already acquired a Table Saw, Mitre Saw, Drill Press, Scroll Saw, Plunge/Fixed Base Router and a couple Circular Saws both corded & cordless, As far as hand tools I've got a Mitre Saw, Coping Saw, Block Plane, 3-pc Chisel Set, Mallet, and a handful of squares and straight edges, and also a handful of other various saws. Any advice, tips, and recommendations for getting started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Everybody!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

also an apology for this being similar to my previous thread I'm using the app for the iPhone and the interface is slightly confusing gonna take some time getting used to this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to WWT neighbor to the west! This is a much healthier addiction than smoking, so congrats on that move.

I'd suggest adding a #5 jack plane to your hand plane collection...it's a great overall general purpose size, and is the one to have if you're only going to have one bench plane. For value planes, I prefer the older Stanley Bailey, Record, or Millers Falls planes over the newer imports.

A good workbench is also a must have, and is something you can build yourself. You might also make a trip to the library to see what books they have on wwing. The NewWoodworker.com is a great website for learning about wwing...lots of tool info and tips....he's also got a book that's excellent.

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks ill have to check out that site andI'll be on the look out for that #5 plane. I actually have a pretty solid workbench right now there was an old rickety one left behind where we moved in so I reinforced it and put a new extended top on it. it is now built like a tank and has no sway at all as opposed to before. the new work surface is now 4'x7'. is that a sufficient size do you think? also I've been skimming my local craigslist ads and picking up whatever useful scrap I can find which has been a huge help so far. curious to know if there are any trusted websites that sell decent hand tools for beginners? as far as I know all I have locally for tools is craigslist, garage sales, and big box stores (lowes & home depot which are unfortunately not a huge help). that's why I decided to jump into this forum I figured the people who'd really know are the pros and enthusiasts that do this daily.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, "upstater" :)

Sounds like your beginners tool list is, in fact, very advanced. Don't think I can add much to the other posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Welcome Jon!!!! (from a wee bit south of ya)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM

View Chippin-in's Photo Album My Photos
Well Im gonna break the streak and welcome you from Texas.

Robert

God made us from dust, but all we can do is make dust.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode