New from Atlanta | First Saw Price Question - Delta Unisaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

View ///M3///M5's Photo Album My Photos
New from Atlanta | First Saw Price Question - Delta Unisaw

I used to do a lot of woodworking with my grandfather when I was in middle and high school and just bought my first house last year. I specifically sought out something with a very large garage to set-up a car lift and hopefully have enough room to bifurcate into a wood shop. Luckily, I found something with a 40 x 40 two-door, detached garage with a 20 x 40 shop attached to the back of it (perfect for the wood shop).

Now, on to my first set of questions / statements. Right now, I am looking complete only a few small projects around the house. Namely, doing some craftsmen style trim, building out my master closet with custom shelves / cabinets, and some new shaker style doors for the cabinets that are already in my kitchen.

On my immediate list is a jointer, planer, router with table, band saw, and table saw. I have a good budget for all of it, but just question buying a full cabinet saw at this time with the limited needs I will have for it right now. I am contemplating just going with a used contractor saw that has good resale value to get these projects done and then buy a new cabinet saw when I have time for just hobbying around. Thoughts on that logic?

I found a Jet JWTS-10 with attached router table, router and fence for $350, which seems like a good deal...

I did find this locally, but the price seems way off from my quick research. Could anyone tell me what I should offer if I were to step-up to a larger, more long-term saw?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/3736595437.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
You can do better for your small shop, especially considering that saw has a 3 phase motor. A good cabinet saw is worth the extra trouble so keep looking.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
You can do better for your small shop, especially considering that saw has a 3 phase motor. A good cabinet saw is worth the extra trouble so keep looking.
Thanks for the advice. I keep finding good stuff on CL, but it just flies. I've had two saws pulled out from under me by waiting until the next day to go look at them.

Should I just be looking at a new Grizzly / Shop Fox or something?

Is a contractor-style SawStop with my time (I can't justify $3k+ for a saw right now)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
The high quality contracter style saws from what I understand have the same guts as the cabinet saws. The difference is in the quality and alignment of the table and sometimes the guide, sometimes there isn't a lot of difference. You should go to Rockler, Woodcraft or Peachtree Woodworking and window shop some of the models and try to pick the brains of the staff there. Most of them are woodworkers too and can tell you quite a bit about the equpment.
What part of Atl are you in?

Last edited by Gary Beasley; 04-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
You can get a brand new Grizzly G1023RL 3hp cabinet single phase cabinet saw with a riving knife and warranty shipped to your door for $1394. IMO that's a better deal than $1200 for a used Uni with a 3-phase motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
The high quality contracter style saws from what I understand have the same guts as the cabinet saws....
I don't think the Saw Stop contractor saws have the same trunnion system as the professional or industrial cabinet saw, nor does any contractor saw.

Last edited by knotscott; 04-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll keep snooping on CL for a little bit longer. If nothing pops up soon, I'll probably just go with a new Grizzly.

I'm in Brookhaven.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome
post #8 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on what I should offer for this? It's local and not widely advertised:

Table Saw Front
post #10 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a nice unisaw with unifence and a sliding table attached. That could go for more than $1000.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM

View MeasureTwice's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
You can get a brand new Grizzly G1023RL 3hp cabinet single phase cabinet saw with a riving knife and warranty shipped to your door for $1394. IMO that's a better deal than $1200 for a used Uni with a 3-phase motor.

Precisely what I did and could not be happier! I'm in Marietta if you want to come give it a try

Old photo
New from Atlanta | First Saw Price Question - Delta Unisaw-img_0395.jpg

"It don't take all kinds, there just are all kinds"
Granny Clampett
post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Ain't that a purdy thing!
post #13 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Got my name on a single phase, 5HP Powermatic Model 66 with 52" beismeyer T-Square fence!

Worth the wait!
post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM

View Loganville Tiger's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3///M5 View Post
I used to do a lot of woodworking with my grandfather when I was in middle and high school and just bought my first house last year. I specifically sought out something with a very large garage to set-up a car lift and hopefully have enough room to bifurcate into a wood shop. Luckily, I found something with a 40 x 40 two-door, detached garage with a 20 x 40 shop attached to the back of it (perfect for the wood shop).

Now, on to my first set of questions / statements. Right now, I am looking complete only a few small projects around the house. Namely, doing some craftsmen style trim, building out my master closet with custom shelves / cabinets, and some new shaker style doors for the cabinets that are already in my kitchen.

On my immediate list is a jointer, planer, router with table, band saw, and table saw. I have a good budget for all of it, but just question buying a full cabinet saw at this time with the limited needs I will have for it right now. I am contemplating just going with a used contractor saw that has good resale value to get these projects done and then buy a new cabinet saw when I have time for just hobbying around. Thoughts on that logic?

I found a Jet JWTS-10 with attached router table, router and fence for $350, which seems like a good deal...

I did find this locally, but the price seems way off from my quick research. Could anyone tell me what I should offer if I were to step-up to a larger, more long-term saw?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/3736595437.html
Welcome To The Forums from another Georgian!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasureTwice View Post
Precisely what I did and could not be happier! I'm in Marietta if you want to come give it a try

Old photo
Attachment 69671
That is the saw I have my eye on too (minus the router extension). Maybe it will work out for me this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3///M5 View Post
Got my name on a single phase, 5HP Powermatic Model 66 with 52" beismeyer T-Square fence!

Worth the wait!
Great Saw!!! Post pic's when you get it set up!!!

LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode