I am new here..was referred by someone to hopefully get my question answered.
Ok..we are building new stairs in timber frame home. I am the owner/slave doing all this!
Bought a large amount of very green douglas fir about 2 months ago...when the lumber company got it, it was frozen! Live in Missouri!..they let it thaw before milling it down.
Fast forward...stacked in my unheated garage...was moving some around 2 days ago and noticed white mold on some of the edges!
The dimensions of what I have are as follows:
4x12 for stair stringers
4x10 for stair treads
6x8 for posts for landings, and newel posts
so far, we have built the landing, and used 2x12s and 2x10s of pine to mock up the stairs before cutting into the expensive stuff!
1: how do i get rid of the mold?
2: how do I dry the stuff out? The landing in the photos were solid when we installed em...1 week later they had cracks! House is not occupied, and I have geothermal for heat..so yeah its supper dry in there.